Opinion Requested, system build

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arlin22 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

Just got onto this site, and have spent (wasted, as my wife would say!) viewing loads of material here.  Great Site!

I would like some opinions on DIY set up I'm doing.  Still buying but getting there.  I know mostly what I want, but not all.  I am having trouble figuring out amplification for what I already have and want.  In the 2004 300M Special, I have the 'Premium System'.  It's junk, but much better than OEM in my last new car.  I replaced the HU with Alpine CDA-9856.  Have 2 Infinity 1252W in sealed box already.  I want to power them first.  I hope the Big 3 of the OEM 12V system can manage this without mods yet.  i'll do that later.  I want to stay with Alpine power.  I am seriously considering the PDX 1.1000 for the subs.  It may be too much power for the 12's, but too much is ok.  I will then get another PDX (2.150) to power a front stage.  I am hot for the Polk SR6500.  I like the PDX amps b/c they stack making it cleaner in the install (cool too). 

So I guess I am looking for opinions on:

Is the PDX 1.1000 okay for the 12's? (alternative suggestions)

Is the PDX 4.150 okay for the front 6.5's? (also, alt's appreciated)

Thanks all!

300M Special. Alpine CDA-9856; Infinity Ref 1252W (2)...so far
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 4:51 PM / IP Logged  
Both of those amps will work nicely...and they are STACKABLE yess lol
If you got the dough than I'd say get the PDX amps...highly efficient. Just be careful of the gain as not to overpower those subs
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2006 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
the 1252W subs...are those the references? if so i would personally look into getting either the Kappa Perfects or the smaller pdx amp. why buy such a big amp if your not even going to get it close to going. (plus i find it very doubtful that those subs will stand up to the PDX for long) But as far as the PDX amp is concerned, i havent been able to get my hands on one or hear one. but i have talked to people who have and they say it is a fantasic amp.
2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
arlin22 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
yes, they are the Reference 1252Ws.  I have heard them, and I think they are ok for now.  I want to spend the bigger bucks on an the sub amp that will be useful later (PDX 1.1000) for when I pony up the big cash on better subs.  There is a gain setting on the amp, so I will be careful not to overpower the ref's right now.  Will the 4.150 be ok for the SR6500 6.5 components?
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  

yes those 150 watts should really get those SR6500s to really sing! are you looking at getting the 2ch or 4ch PDX?

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
arlin22 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

jville

i intend to use the 2ch PDX.  It's a little cheaper and I don't need to power anything else yet.  I'll just run the sr6500's and the 2 12's for now.  I did intend to add another set of 5 1/4 Polks in custom dash enclosures mounted tween the glass and dash by the A pillars.  I am looking for Q logic kick panels for the 04 300M but I don't think they make em.  There is a foot E brake in the way on the Drivers side and I don't want to remove that!  LOL.  So I am resigned to lifting the front stage a bit, underpowering them a bit and hoping for the best for looks with a fiberglass enclosure.  I saw a set mounted that way in a car audio mag once with B&W Nautilus ($15,000 set of spkrs) and they claimed it sounded great.  Now if I had that article or another source of info on 'how to' make these things I would be set.  two problems with it though.  It'll be a freaking messy job, but look great (hope it sounds great for the effort), and they advertise to the bad guys "come steal me, I've got  nice stuff in here!"  Some tint and an alarm should ward off the lesser talented bad guys, I hope.

anyone know of how to make these type of 'pods' or could I follow the 'how to make an enclosure' and modify it a bit.  I just don't know where to start from.  Foil the dash/A pillar/front windscreen, lay in cardboard cutouts, skeleton from MDF, wrap with the fabric and go nuts with the 'glass?  Or is there a better way?  Some sort of shaped item, a bowl, kitchen gadget, or otherwise to mold around?

arlin22 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2006 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah, I say that I don't want to power anything else yet, and then I ask how to make additional enclosures.  I'll need to power them, but I think my procrastination to make them, $$$ and available time will outweigh a need for additional power requirements for right now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic