Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Just run the power wire under the carpet
wretchedunloved 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  

Yep, I managed to find a wiring harness in the firewall.  No way I could get it through there, but I drilled a hole and I have it run now.  Of course, Best Buy said I will now get my equip the 26th, thereas they said no later than the 22nd in their store.  *Sigh* Bloody BB...

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, I'm looking at the manual online for the amp, and I was curious about something.  It shows to catch the wires for the high-level inputs after the HU, but it doesn't take into account a factory amp.  Should I hook into the wiring pre-amp/post-HU or post-amp/post-HU?  The factory amp is right next to the speakers, so either way isn't too bad, but it would be a bit of a challenge to figure out which wires to catch going into the amp, there's quite a few.
2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

Well, my subs got lost in transit, then finally found, then they were sold to someone else on the shelf within 3 hours of letting me know they came in.  A few phone calls to the store manager later, I got my subs, box and amp.  I hooked it all up this afternoon, and it certainly pounds, but my gains at the moment are set really, really low.  I'm terrified of blowing my subs.  This is the lead in to my question, which now will follow.

Car: 2001 Monte Carlo SS, stock H/U and internal speakers.  It has premium sound, which includes a small amp for the four inside speakers.

Equipment: Sony XM-2002GTR, Sony XS-L123P5's ( 12"  x 2 )

Now, I put in a CD and played a song with steady, heavy bass while adjusting my gain.  My gain is in the form of a small knob with voltage numbers, I started out at 6v, it is now at 4v, and if I turn it up more, the bass obviously gets louder, but I just get scared that I could be clipping the amp, not knowing.  I really, really don't wanna blow my speakers, so I'm leaving it at 4, which does pound rather hard, until I get some input on this.  My amplifer is connected to the H/U via the high-level inputs, connected into the rear deck speakers, AFTER the stock amplifier.  The controls on the amp at my disposal are -

Level: 6, 5.5, 4, 2, .5, .3, but I can set them anywhere between those numbers also, the knob turns smoothly - Currently set at 4.

Low Boost ( 40Hz): 0 to 10dB, smooth knob as well - Currently set at 1.

Filter: 50, 60, 110, 170, 260, 300 - Currently set at 170 (Factory setting)

Those are the only three settings I can mess with, I have the EQ on my H/U leveled, I used to have the bass turned up on it, but I leveled that out.

So, my actual questions, numbered for convenience!

1) The RMS going to each speaker is 200, the max RMS for each speaker is 350, how much danger do I have from an inaudible clipping of the signal to blow my speakers?

2) If I keep turning my gain up, will my speakers simply blow out after a few seconds?  Or will I have a chance to go "Wow, that sounds horrible, I better turn it back down" I haven't turned it past 4 yet for more than 3 seconds, just to hear one note that kind of vibrated my rib cage.

3) Will my bass boost contribute to clipping?  I fear clipping ;-;  How high can I turn it, or should I leave it alone?

4) Is my LPF set alright?  I haven't really messed with it.  My rear deck speakers can pound pretty hard, so they put out some decent midbass, but they obviously don't have the deep thump that I was after.

5) I also noticed a kind of buzzing noise, only in some songs though, I believe it's some part of my car vibrating, as it only occurs on bass, and it sounds very simlar to my license plate rattling (Which I will fix soon ><) Should I be concerned with this noise?  It's only noticible when the trunk is open and you're near the subs, it goes away completely when listening normally.

I know, so many noob questions, I'm just scared of breaking my very first sub and amp.  Any help, advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

-Travis

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  

The amp and sub links are hyperlinks to their crutchfield listings, so you don't have to waste your time hunting the specs.  Forgot to mention that ><  Off to road test my subs, will check for responses when I come back.

Thanks again!

2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
just my opinion but bass boost sucks.  I try not to use it .  I want all of my bass to play smoothly and evenly,  the bass boost is centered around one particular frequencey and it boosts the amps output at that frequency, so you wind up with a sudden spike instead of an even response.  as far as setting the lowpass filter in my opinion itll depend on what kind of music you listen to.  if its rap or bass lines similair to that i usually go 80hz or less, for rock  Im closer to 100hz or so but never at 170.  that would be the first thing i change.  as far as setting you gains im sure theres a thread on this forum that covers that in great detail.
wretchedunloved 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
Aye, there is, but my problem I guess it's just a fear of clipping the signal and not noticing.  I mean, I've never heard clipping, and I have no way to turn off my interior speakers, so I'm getting a lot of sound while just trying to test my subs.  And I'm just afraid of throwing my amp into clipping and popping my subs.  Thanks for the info though, I turned the LPF down to 110, I listen to a lot of music, rap, metal and trance mostly, but that's still quite a variation as far as bass is concerned.
2001 Monte Carlo SS
Sony XM-2002GTR
Sony XS-L123P5 x 2
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic