icon

Can I wire my Home Theater Sub in my Car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
t0mmyr 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2006 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  

ok, here's the problem, it sounds like one of my coils burnt on my Audiobahn AWT12x, its a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub...it sounds ugly and doesn't sound like its putting out all the power, so i want to take it out and check it out....

...now i also have a great 15" jbl psw d115 sub for my home, it sounds awesome, its in a great box, however the amp in it blew a long time ago so its just been a coffee table for 2 years now.....

the jbl sub is spec'ed at:  Nominal speaker impedance: 8 ohms, Subwoofer power (RMS): 350 watts

is there anyway i can put this big ass sub in the trunk of my 01 maxima and hook it up to my car audio subwoofer amp?, the amp is a jbl bp1200.1, it's spec's look like this:

Model  BP1200.1 

Peak Power (watts)  1200 
RMS at 2 Ohms (watts)  1200 
RMS at 4 Ohms (watts)  600

how can i safely hook this up, will it work, i've heard you cant stick a car sub in your home, but can i do it the other way around?

sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
imo that sub with that amp would be a good match. at 8 ohms you would get betting 300 watts rms from your amp.. but you need to make another enclosure for it because I am sure the box you have it in is tuned for home audio which is totally different than car audio.
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

at the end of the day, a sub is a sub.. you just need to find some specs on it and build your enclosure based off those numbers

personally i've got 2 mtx thunder 6000 8" subs in a ported box hooked up to my computer speakers (took the sub apart and tied the leads to the new box.. yeah, i do some retarded nonsense when i'm bored) and she pounds away like none other. the amp actually runs cooler than it did originally

j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
It would work, but most home audio subs can't withstand the humidity of a car environment, especially if it is a paper cone.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
j_darling2007 wrote:
It would work, but most home audio subs can't withstand the humidity of a car environment, especially if it is a paper cone.
paper cone?? there are many many many car audio subs made with paper cones...what do you mean most home audio subs can't handle the humidity of a car's environment??
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know exactly to be perfectly honest, but I have read on here before that home audio subs don't hold up well to the humidity in cars.
I will see if I can find the thread.
edit:
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=69630&KW=home+sub
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

Several years ago, before the internet was big and online forums like this didn't exist, I built a plywood box using measurements "off the top of my head", ported no less...stuck a CW 15" subwoofer that had been in my home speakers in it and put it in the hatchback.  It actually sounded okay, but what was I comparing it to?  The 5" 'sub' that came with my Probe's "premium" sound system?  I even continued to use the generously spec'd factory 80 watt sub amp.  It lasted about a year until the foam surround rotted and fell apart.

But it was a 10-year old sub by then, anyway.  Life wasn't going to go on forever.

So that is to say, you can use any home sub you want to in your car, but keep it brief if you want it again for home use.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
subs for automotive use that have  paper cones are treated to be used in that type of inviroment. home subs dont need to have treated cones since they where not designed for automotive use.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2006 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Speakers are speakers.  Most "car audio" speakers are no different from "home audio" speakers with the possible exception of voice coil impedance.  Home theatre subwoofer systems tend to be tuned to a much lower fb or fc than are most car stereo subwoofer systems, and HT systems tend to use larger enclosure sizes and are generally more efficient.  But go ahead and try your home subwoofer in your vehicle if it fits.  If you like the results, go for it.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic