icon

First Project, Tach molded into dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Whiteheat 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

This was my first fiberglass project.  I don't have any progress pics to put up right now, but I figured I'd put up the installed pics to see what you guys thought.  Like I said, it's my first project so be gentle.  There are going to be two more gauges put in the holes on either side of the tach, but they cost more than the figerglass, so I figured I'd do the glassing first. 

First Project, Tach molded into dash - Last Post -- posted image.

This is the car.  It's a 1997 Dodge Neon.  Sorry she's so dirty.  It's winter and it's too low to take through the car wash and it's too cold to do it myself.  She needs some work, but I love her anyway.

“I’m new! I don’t know what to do!”
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

very very cool.. only slight criticism is that i would have loved to see it angled towards the driver. might make seeing the smaller guage on the other side a little difficult.

props tho, came out very nice. looking forward to seeing what else you've got planned

Whiteheat 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

I didn't tilt them because I thought it might be too dificult. It was my first project and with the limited amount of tools I have, it seemed like the easiest way to go. I wanted to try my hand at fiberglass and this was what I came up with. I didn't like having my tach. up on top of the dash and I didn't want it hiding in the corner by the door. I seen a Mini Coopers dash and it inspired me. I don't remember if the Mini has the Tach. or the Speedo. in the middle, but it's placed similar to mine. You can actually see it pretty well, but I put the shift light right on the steering wheel column, and that's all I need to look at when I'm racing. I'll probably put something that you don't really need to see easily in the other two holes, like a volt gauge. I wouldn't want to put a boost gauge or something like that there because you want to be able to see that quickly. 

Thanks for the compliment.  I want to try a sub box next.  I did this first because I thought it would be easier, but once I got started on it, I realized a bigger box might have been a little easier that all the little curves on this.

“I’m new! I don’t know what to do!”
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2006 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
WHITEHEAT wrote:

I didn't tilt them because I thought it might be too dificult.

Nah! It's easy as spit! All you needed was to make a MDF leg to tilt it and put it on the passenger side of the circles to give you the tilt angle you wanted and glued them in place with hot glue and finish as usual. But it's still very nice. Alot people wont fool with it if they dont know how. Thumbs up man, keep it going.

Pure Noize
djdowdell 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
WHITEHEAT wrote:

I didn't tilt them because I thought it might be too dificult.

Nah! It's as easy as spit! All you needed was some MDF legs on the passenger sides of the rings and you would have got the tilt. Then just finish it like usual. Great job still keep it going man.

Pure Noize
ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2006 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  
that looks great...especially for the first time!
tumbleking 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2006 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  
did you paint it all yourself ? and how many hours of work was that total?
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2007 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, really nice work, especially for your first project! First Project, Tach molded into dash - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic