icon

HID, 2005 Dodge Ram 1500

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TazExprez 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
I have been trying to install HID lights on a Dodge RAM 1500 2005, but have been unable to get them to work properly. I installed them with different resistors and even with capacitors, but still no go. Thanks for any help.
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 28, 2006 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
is this a typical automotive HID lighting?
p.s. mod please move to lighting sub-forum.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
NOT an ideal set up...seein that the factory headlights are triggered thru a negative output and 270ohms of resistance. This wire also turns on the parking lights. ALSO...your factory bulbs are a 9007, a dual element bulb. You are going to loose your high beams, unless you purchased the motorized HID kit that moves the bulb when you hit the hi beams. On this truck....you have your work cut out for ya.  To get them to work, you will need a seperate switch wired with 2 relays, one for each bulb.
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
send me an email at nyinstaller@aim.net and tell me what your issues are and i will walk you thru what to do it is pretty easy. i just did one on a 2006 dodge ram 1500 quad so emial me and ill help you out./
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  

djfearny2 wrote:
send me an email at nyinstaller@aim.net and tell me what your issues are and i will walk you thru what to do it is pretty easy. i just did one on a 2006 dodge ram 1500 quad so emial me and ill help you out./

Would you consider enlightening the rest of us? I for one, am very curious how you do this. I KNOW for a fact that you will NOT have high beams....

Please do tell.......

Thanks.

djfearny2 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 4:40 AM / IP Logged  
ok first off all you do not definitely loose high beams there is high low kits out there and they are pretty decent. i have one in my car and have had it for quite some time and you know what they work. mine specifically work on a principal by moving the actual light inand out will redirect the light onto the shield of the inside lens. basically the back of my bulb has a magnet in it and when you hit hi beams the magnet energizes and the bulb is pulled inword on its casing. and it does work. making the light path hit a different section of the reflective lens
ok for the issue at hand hids on dodge rams 2005 and up.
first off all 2005;s have 9007 bulbs from what i remember. However 2006 and up incorporate the new h13 bulb so dont get twisted on that subject if your not sure remove the bulb from your hosing and it says the style on it.
anyways you do not need to mess with a new switch or nothing. it does not matter that dodge uses one wire to do multiple things comming from the headlight etc switch. why because that wire controls a computer that controls relays. so boom your done.; lol not
most hid kits that you can buy will have a harness attached to it that you just plug and play run a pos to the batt mount the balast than your done. but not in this car. the reason being is because the car does some funky doodie. normally you either have a harness that attached to the actual headlight harness or you tap on to the headlight harness. well in this car you cant because the car looks for certain things. problems you may have are.   when you first connect the wires all will appear to be correct so you closed all up and about to test prefeably at night but you cant becuase now that the engine is on the lights will no function. and what i mean by that is the possitive on the headlight harness goes dead the car literally turns the low beam headlight wire off.
there is two ways to fix this. both simple one better than the other.,
one test the three wires at the headlight harness and determine which one is the pos low beam wire. the middle wire is usually a ground trace or ground this can also be tested so do so. will not show pos in either low or high beam section. this wire do nothing and do not go to this wire for your hid ground.
now knowing which wire throws possitive on low beam and which wire shows pos on high beam if you dont have a high low kit high beam means nothing to you.
ok getting off topic i should get strait to the point but im alitte twisted right now and just got home after a night of drinking so sorry.
one method to fix the problem is to take a 1k ohm resistor and place it on the ground wire and the possitive wire from the low beams on the headlight harness than connect your non hi low hid kit to that wire and your done. ground the hid ground to chassis clean your mess than your done.; test away if that dont work here is the better safer key word safer way. ps above method will only work for non HI LOW HId KITS>.....
fine which wire is which on the headlight harness right it down and you need two 12 volt relays one if you have a non HI LOW HID KIT>...
anyways,. find your wires mark which is which you only need to know the hi and low beam wire thats it. take your relays and your basically doing a possitive to pos setup.
for both wires or only low beam if using a non HILOW KIT relay setup
pin86 pos from headlight harness
pin85 ground
pin30 output to pos of hid kit
pin 87a not used
pin87 possitive fused from the battery.
both relays should be set up the same
what i have seen and here is some trouble shoots
if you use the resistor on a hilow kit the specific kit i put in when i turned two high beam the kit enabled but it made a bussing noise and that was because there was feedback on the line and the magnetic feature was rapidly moving in and out. so for the hilow kit you need to use relays you have no choice and it is the better option.
normal connecting with out relays the light appear to work fine when the car is off but when you turn the car on the low beams will flash a few times than shut off. this is due to a non ground path reading that the computer is recieving it sees there is a draw but no ground path to make sure the light bulb is still active basically if your light goes bad you have to change it when your car is off or turn the car off than back on to reset the headlight sensor.    
so point of the story you need to wire up relays between the headlight harness and the hid kit. this will prevent a draw from being seen, the misopperation from car off to car on. and all stated above.
any other info needed pm me or email me at nyinstaller@aim.com
late
Jon
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
KarTuneMan 
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  

Hey Jon...you didn't drive home did you?

Read my sig. Learn from old guys like me, PLEASE!

djfearny2 
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
nope nope no drinking and driving for me. Thats what this weeks Designated was for Im currently in a highly watched spot of ny Where i must have seen over 15 people pulled over last night as my Designated was drivin home
thanks for the interest later. .
Jon
jeffliberty 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
mine is a 2002 dodge dakota with a 9007 bulb dual filament but the hid kit i have doesnt have high beams the only way i can get my lights to turn on is by pressing my ebrake because of my daytime running lights and the only way i can diable them is to go to the dealer and get them to program the ecm to stop my datimes from turning on can i use the same relay setup you did on the ram
1998 VW GTI VR6 5 Speed manual, JVC kd-nx5000 plus 7 inch indash screen optima batteries Eclipse 7122 mono sub amp which im still having serious problems with, and a 12 inch Orion sub
djfearny2 
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
you can try that
however since the daytime lights come on automatically it will still turn the hids on. normal brightness. how it works is it turn only a certain amount of power thru the line. thus causing the lights to come on but kinda dim. you can use this technic as long as there is atleast 3 volts comming on that wire when the daytime lights are on. this will be enough to activate the relay to give the hid system full power. inorder to come on and not flash or what ever your problem is.
before you do anything test the possitve wire that controls the low beam lights so basically test your wires at the actual light harness and determine which one shows atleast 12 volts when the lights are on. and then test that same wire to see if the voltage drops for daytime running when the lights are off. what i have seen is they usually drop between 5-9 volts that will be more than enough to activate a relay to grab power from the battery which is always atleast 12 unless of course you have problems..
here is how it is done
find your low beam headlight wire on one or both wireharness's going to the actual headlight bulb. one relay would be enough to power both hid balasts. so if you want you can go to the headlight harness located on the same side of your battery so you dont have to go nuts. do not cut the harness off just tap onto it so you can always change back to stock.
tap a wire on to the low beam possitve wire and connect it to pin 86 of a 5 terminal 12 volt relay
pin 30 connect to the possitive wire going to the hid kit.
pin 87a not used
pin 87 connect to a fused wire to the battery. fuse must be less than 10 inches from the battery.
now pin 85 if you want the hids to function when day time running lights are on than just ground this wire. if not you can buy a small toggle switch from like radio shack or something a normal two pole toggle switch does not have to be big because it is only holding a low voltage ground for a relay thats it. and you need to run pin 85 into the car. to the location you want to mount this small switch. and what this switch will do is deactivate the relay and seperate the signal going to the hid kit so the lights will not turn on during the day. but if it does not matter to you than just go ahead and ground that realy. also since relays are not water proof you need to tape it with electrical tape and place it in an area that does not get much moisture which is not that hard close to any headlight lens. also cable tie or screw the loop of the relay to something sturdy
any more help pm me and i will again respond to this forum.
Jon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic