icon

Scratchy Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
danfrog420 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
ok, so heres the deal, i just installed my HU and amp and sub in my new(er) car but something seems to be wrong. when i hook everything up the bass is ... well.... just a scratchy noise. whenever the bass is supposed to hit its just a scratchy humm...  ive tries a different amp an no good.  ive also tried new rca's and no luck either. im sadly guessing that it may be the preamp outs on the reciever. if anyone has any ideas please let me know. ohh and i did have a small ground wire but changes it to a 8g short one. thanks
3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  
before you go buy a new deck try a L.O.C.  line output converter.  basically this little charm will allow you to use your speaker wires off of your radio as RCA jacks.  Make sure the amp is set for low output also.  make sure the subs are turned on on the radio if you have that option on your deck.
Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
Is this on all sources (radio, cd, etc.), or isolated to one? If it's on cd for example, is it only that cd in particular (a dirty disc can do this)? It may just be the sub itself. With the system off, push in on the cone of the sub and listen for that "scratchy" sound. If you pull the sub, does it smell like fried electronics? If so, the sub is toast.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
Before you try an LOC (which I do not recommend if your deck has line-level outputs) we need to know a lot more to help you.  What is the make/model of the head unit?  How is the amp setup?  How if the amplifier and/or HU crossover set?  Is the amp perhaps set to "HP"?  Are you using a subwoofer output from your HU?  If so, is it turned on?  Don't jump to the conclusion that the HU is defective until you verify your setup.
Support the12volt.com
danfrog420 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
ok   i have a clarion dxz925, sony xplode xm1502sx amp, and bass america (cheapo) 15", all wiring should be right ; power down drivers side, remote and rca's down passanger. HU does have subwoofer outs which are turned on  and set at passthrough crossover and the amp is set to LP xover set at about 300hz (i have also tried amp at passthrough and HU at LP but still persist). When i removed the setup from my previous car, well truck... is was in working order as far as i know, this was about 6 months ago. My truck caught fire in the engine compartment due to an electrical short. Now that i think about it, could this have caused the sub to fry? I have tried a different amp and still the same thing. If i turn the amp to passthrough i can hear the highs pretty well but the bass is still scratchy. It also seems to have more of a response when i push the cone in a little bit. umm thats about all the info i have for now. Do you think i should try a new sub? wont hurt would it? thanks again guy.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like your sub may be fried, but if it plays at all the problem is more likely in the HU, the amp or the setup.  If you had an electrical fire in your previous vehicle almost anything could be wrong, including a fried head unit.  I suggest heading to a local car audio shop and ask for help testing what is wrong, then give the shop your business replacing what's bad.  It may be time to simply buy new gear.
Support the12volt.com
danfrog420 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
is there a way to test the preouts or rca's on the amp? everything else with the hu seems to be perfect.
DYohn 
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Connect a different speaker to your sub amp (it does not have to be a subwoofer, just keep the volume down.)  If it makes the same sort of scratchy sounds, it is the HU, the amp or the setup.  If it does not make the same sounds, your woofer is blown.  The easiest way to test the outputs from your HU is to connect them to a known good amp and speaker combo and see what happens.
Support the12volt.com
danfrog420 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the help guys, it turns out that the sub is busted. now i just need to make a box and ill be back in business. thanks again!
spaceman74 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
300Hz ??? A "SUBWOOFER" should never be crossed out any higher then 100Hz.
Keep working! Millions on welfare depend on you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic