icon

93 Silverado Ext Cab speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thunderstruck95 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2006 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, I just found this website today, and it's already turning out to be a great resource!
I'm helping a buddy replace the stock 4x6" speakers in his 1993 C1500 Extended Cab since the stock speakers went kaput. I already finished the front dash speakers, but I couldn't do the rear speakers since I didn't have a big enough Torx (sp?) bit to take off the seat belts. I'm going back tomorrow to finish the install. My friend is worried that it's going to be very difficult ("That looks like a lot of **** to take apart!"), but I'm confident that I can do it... kinda because I have Crutchfield's MasterSheets from when I bought a head unit for my 1995 Chevy.
Now that I've been been snooping around these forums, I've been reading a few posts that say that the rear speakers are a real PITA to get to. Just how difficult is it? Is there anything I should watch out for? I think I can do it, but I'm worried about breaking something... plastic that's been baked in the sun for 13+ years can't be too strong.
My friend said he'll just cut a hole in the panel so I can get directly to the speaker, but I definately don't want it to come to that. 93 Silverado Ext Cab speakers? - Last Post -- posted image.
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

I'm pretty sure that with that year you can't really do the rear speakers without breaking the panels. I could be wrong, I believe that is right near the switch years.

3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
you don't need to remove the seatbelts!  there is a plastic panel behing the seat that is all the way across the rear wall.  this panel has to be removed.  since the truck is a 1993 it is probably brittle to say the least.  use a panel popper to get this panel off.  don't be scared because no matter what you do you are gonna break some of the clips.  the trick is to remove the panel without breaking it!  the metal clips will probably be stuck in the holes, you will have to dig them out with a screw driver and put them back on the panel by hand.  a few screws and the side panels should pop off the same way.  good luck.  i've done alot of these and no matter what year model it is i always seem to break atleast one clip.  my advice is use a good panel popper and pop them out fast rather than pulling real slow.
Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

the roof panel is the problem area. somehow the sides are supposed to come off first but i havent figured out how. the top panel is screwed in behind the side panels.

i just pull the top until the clips break loose from the screws. just make sure you dont break the top panel where it will be visible. it has enough clips to hold it back up. you have to pull the tops of the seatbelts and the domelight (2 screws under the light cover).

ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 30, 2006 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
oops. you said ext cab. the rear armrests have to be pulled to. 2 screws behind each one. not sure bout seatbelts on ext cab.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic