Car Dealer remote start safety

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
06sienna 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all

I recently purchased an 06 Sienna and the dealer told me that all of the Siennas come with a remote start so I had to purchase it.  I dont have the model info handy but it was an audiovox alarm that was installed with only the remote start features enabled. (siren and shock sensor and hood pin were not installed)  Once I fugured that the hood pin wasnt installed I immediately thought about the saftey of the instillation.  The hood pin fo rthe enging cut off, which I thought was a standard safter feature for remote starts had not been done? 

I have called the Dealer and they are giving me a hard time.  I am at th epoint where I am telling the to install the complete unit with the siren and shock sensor or remove it all together and refund me the $. 

Am I correct in assuming that if they do not install the entire alarm according to the user manual it was done incorectly?  And would I have a legal case?

Thanks

mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
hood pins are supposed to be installed, but some installers do not use them. Take it back and demand they put it in. if not file a complaint and have them take it out.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  

All of the siennas at that dealership come with an audiovox remote starter that they probably installed almost, I say almost because it is an incomplete install without the hood pin. As far as the shock sensor and siren, are you positive it is a remote start /alarm? I doubt it as it will cost them more money for the brain and even so did they charge you for an alarm remote start combo? I would try to handle this with the dealerships general manager before resorting to any legal action, I am sure if you speak with him or her this can get resolved. And do not call them, go in face to face and speak with them. Just don't go in screaming and threating legal action because it will get you nowhere. Just my advice.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
Factory horns are generally louder and more reliable than aftermarket sirens.
Most customers who buy alarms through dealerships tend to hate shock sensors.
I am not aware of any law requiring the hoodpin switch to be installed.
(You might also want to instead consider an on/off toggle switch to disable the remote starter, which is more reliable.)
Regardless, no one should be giving you a hard time.
What Toyota dealer is it?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  

If any dealer in this world told me i had to buy the remote start because they all came with it i would instantly walk out and go to another dealer. That's just rediculous. Are you sure it has an alarm too? describe the remotes, how many buttons? In any case, the pin switch is a safety feature that we put on every Rs we do(and we are the biggest dealer service company on the east coast!) but not all do nor are they required to. Most Toyota dealers are worried about CSI and are usually ready to jump thru hoops to get a good rating, so be a bit pushy and they'll do as you ask(even if that means remove the RS all together)...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2007 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
I don't put them on because the ones that come with it are crap and degrade quickly. Thus bringing them back to me all wized. I put on On/Off switch and the warning for the mechanic. Plus he sould realise it when the keys got a remote on it. All it does is make sure it doesn't start when the hood is open just use an on off switch.
ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

I always install them, not that they always work, but to avoid one more liability issue. I do agree with Mike M2! If a dealer tells me that I have to pay for something that they choose to install in all of thier cars I would walk right out. I'll  bet at most dealers if you dd start to walk out you wouldn't get within 20 feet of the door before they gave you the system for free.

Ed

Ed
candy&chrome 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

hood pins are important but not always installed, it really depends on the installer, i always put them in, so i never have to explain to the mechanic that lost a hand why i didn't. as far as the unit itself, i would ask to see the origional work order from the dealership. they may only install a "basic" set-up.......anything more is called options. so they really aren't obligated to do more than requested. and if this is the way they do starters than how are they to know they've done anything wrong? you could be the first case they've seen where this is an issue. if i were you i would do the above but keep your cool......you get what you put into it.

and by the way, any dealership that "tells" YOU, you have to pay for something you didn't ask for isn't worth dealing with.....that should have been the first sign of issues to come. thats just me though.

canada's cold eh.
j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

If any dealer in this world told me i had to buy the remote start because they all came with it i would instantly walk out and go to another dealer. That's just rediculous. Are you sure it has an alarm too? describe the remotes, how many buttons? In any case, the pin switch is a safety feature that we put on every Rs we do(and we are the biggest dealer service company on the east coast!) but not all do nor are they required to. Most Toyota dealers are worried about CSI and are usually ready to jump thru hoops to get a good rating, so be a bit pushy and they'll do as you ask(even if that means remove the RS all together)...

Agreed, well put.

I install Audiovox alarms daily and Ive worked at a Toyota dealership (Here on the westcoast) and NOT ALL Sienna's came with remote start. Maybe the dealership you bought it from had worked something out with Audiovox, but I know for a fact NOT ALL Sienna's come with remote start. Now, the FACTORY remote start systems, those are way more... reliable than the Audiovox ones. As for your remote start not having a hood pin and shock sensor... Check your window stickers, not the one with the prices and options, but the little tiny squarish-rectangular shaped ones on the corner. Do they say "Protected by Toyota anti-theft" or "VIP" or "Immobilizer" something... anything with those stickers (Usually in GOLD lettering or RED) usually means you have FACTORY security already, and I dont know of any factory security systems that have shock sensors (except for Ford's stock-aftermarket system. You guys know what Im talking about right?!) but I do know Toyota factory security systems DO IN FACT have hood pin switches. Did the installer wire it up so that the remote start doesnt start with the hood open?! I dont know you could always test it but Id highly doubt he did.  But yeah, if your Sienna does NOT have that little sticker, and if its a must for YOU to have the hood-pin switch Id definately take it back to the dealership. Id bitch and complain about them saying that ALL Sienna's come with an AFTERMARKET remote start.

j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2007 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  

godblessdremil wrote:
I don't put them on because the ones that come with it are crap and degrade quickly. Thus bringing them back to me all wized. I put on On/Off switch and the warning for the mechanic. Plus he sould realise it when the keys got a remote on it. All it does is make sure it doesn't start when the hood is open just use an on off switch.

The keys on the remote doesnt usually tell the mechanic/tech that the vehicle has a remote start. Especially not an Audiovox remote start system. Audiovox makes factory keyless entry upgrade systems, and remote start systems that works with your factory remote. Usually, in order to operate the remote start sequence, you'd hit "Lock" then "Unlock" and then "Lock" again, and driving, shutting off the remote starter is like any other one but thats how you'd start it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic