icon

Anyone use components in the rear?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cim2phat4u 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, does anyone here use component speakers in the rear of their car?  I know MOST people either do not have speakers in the rear or use toned-down crappy speakers for rear fill.

I know that having component speakers in the rear will obviously shift the sound stage away from the front, but I was wondering why most people don't like that?  Surround sound is popular with theaters, computers, home entertainment, etc., wonder why it's not popular with car audio.  I'm just looking for personal opinions here, because I'm debating whether or not to put rear components in my car.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
We have done it, and just adjusted the rears down a little from the head unit to keep from having them pull from the front stage..I was quite pleased with it
We still have people ride in the back of our car and would like to have something for them to hear, besides just the bass coming from the trunk
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Sad, little man 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
Well, theaters, computers, and home entertainment all have one thing in common, they have a screen. Surround sound is popular because when you're looking at something playing on a screen some people think it makes for a better experience to have speakers in the rear so that if something in what you're watching happens behind the camera the sound of it can come from the rear speakers and make it seem more like you're really there. But that's obvious, because it's what surround sound has been about since it was created.
You don't see it in music much because music systems are meant to make it seem like you're at a live performance, and at a live performance there usually isn't any music coming from behind you, so there shouldn't be any with a music system. I mean really if you're going for the same experience as a home audio system in a car having any rears at all is silly, but the interior area in front of where the driver sits is a little tight. So cars have rear speakers just because that's the only place to fit them besides the doors, which are pretty low to the floor to be convincing on their own. Rear speakers on the shelf can bring the soundstage up higher where it needs to be, but at the cost of pulling it back.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

Sad, little man wrote:
Rear speakers on the shelf can bring the soundstage up higher where it needs to be, but at the cost of pulling it back.

Well said.

A lot of us feel that the sound experience in a car can never duplicate that of a fine home system in the room sizes that they are experienced in.  And, indeed, the car audio experience is unique unto itself.  Some rear sound along with a much stronger front soundstage is generally preferred by us who think that way, and contributes to the unique sound of car audio.  And it is true that the "down-low-front-soundstage" is elevated when accompanied by rear speakers.  But since those back speakers' real fidelity, played at such a low level, can't really be appreciated in most car environments (not talkin' limos here), they are generally downgraded to coaxials or entry-level components to free up money for the more important fronts.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jquest03 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  
I enjoy the surround sound.  I do not have componenets in the back..only 6x9's and i like the little bit of extra bass it provides since i dont have any subwoofers yet.  I do think however that if you have good enough components with a decent amp it should be plenty of sound to just have front components.  Once i put in a subwoofer i will take out the 6x9's and dedicate all 4 channels of my amplifier to my components.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2007 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
There's nothing wrong with using component speakers in the rear. I use a good set of coaxial speakers, but I definitely wouldn't call them "crappy". It's up to you.
The reason the front stage is focused on so much in the vehicle is because it's mostly used to listen to music. The goal is to try to recreate the stereo "image" you would get if you were at a "live concert." Even though there may be some loudspeakers at the back, away from the stage, the majority of the sound information is coming from the front. You can either fade your controls to the front, as Jeff suggested, or keep the gain controls at a lower setting for the rear speakers. Either way will work fine.
There's a big difference between this and a home surround sound setup. When you're watching a movie and there's a scene where a plane flies over your head and back behind you, you want it to sound like that's what's happening. That's the reason for a Dolby Digital processor. If you're looking to recreate this in your vehicle as well, there's nothing wrong with that either.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
reefguy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
i use a comp set of boston acoustics proseries 6 1.2 for front stage and and use a comp.set from focal. for rear stage, just like jeff and geep said, just use fader or balance control from the hu, i even adding a pair of idmax idq6 mid woofer to fill any gaps from my subs to the mids.  my front stage is power by a ppi art sereis a404.2 and the same for the rear, and a orion 2250sx for the pair of jl subs, i pretty much only use all old school equipment, and does it sound awesome. so i would definitly recommed using rear stage if you can afford it, pay for the extra few bucks and buy good equipement from speakers, xrossover, amps etc.. then you won';t regret it later.  
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
reefguy wrote:
i use a comp set of boston acoustics proseries 6 1.2 for front stage and and use a comp.set from focal. for rear stage, just like jeff and geep said, just use fader or balance control from the hu, i even added a pair of idmax idq6 mid woofer to fill any gaps from my subs to the mids.  my front stage is power by a ppi art sereis a404.2 and the same for the rear, and a orion 2250sx for the pair of jl subs, i pretty much only use all old school equipment, and does it sound awesome. so i would definitly recommed using rear stage if you can afford it, pay for the extra few bucks and buy good equipement from speakers, xrossover, amps etc.. then you won';t regret it later.  
reefguy 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2007 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
sorry hit the button twice...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic