icon

aps620 dash mounted led

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ltssas 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

I just had the unit installed, by a local dealer, last week.  I works fine but I would have liked to have the dash mounted led and horn chirp

activated. I called and was told the led had to be programmed in order to operate.($45.00)

I have already mounted the led and connected it to the module.(No light)

The horn chirp I'm sure will involve more than just connecting, relay, etc.(I didn't ask how much more it would cost)

Any ideas that will help me would be appreciated.

toms
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
I've only installed one of those, but I believe the LED should be flashing whenever you've locked the doors with the remote, with no programming needed.
Check that the plug is in all the way, that the pins in the remote start brain haven't been bent aside, and that the connections at the back of the LED and plug haven't broken.
It would help if you mention what kind of car, but usually connecting the horn output is just one wire..........however, of course, the dashboard still has to be taken apart again, and the correct wire has to be found and tested........so it's not a simple two-second operation, which is why they don't want to do it for free, but no, it isn't usually terribly difficult.
And also, the horn output works without programming........it is already set to "on" when the unit comes out of the box.......although it is possible to program the horn output to "off."
ltssas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thank for the info.  Sorry, the car is a 1991 honda accord ex.

I did test the led with a battery connected to it's plug and it does light.

Thanks Again.

toms
Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, that changes things a little bit.
I've done a couple of those Accords just recently. I noticed that the horn wire that comes from the steering column is in a ribbon cable that also carries the cruise control and airbag wires.
While it would be possible to open up the ribbon cable and test each individual wire, it is certainly risky to mess around with airbag wires.
I also have information here stating the wire is available at the car's horn relay, but doesn't state where it is.
Also, the information says that's it's a high-current circuit, and that an aftermarket relay would be required. So yes, extra cost/labor there.
Also, the APS-620 is very new, and most of us here don't have anyh experience with it. I have another one of those around here somewhere.........in a little while, I'll go look and see if it says anything about having to go into programming to enable the LED.
ltssas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 5:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again.

If I do the horn connect I'll probably install a separate horn as I have an extra here...

The led issue still has me baffled.

toms
Chris Luongo 
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
If I've given you the correct weblink, here's where you read the owner's and installer's manuals, in case you don't have both of them already:
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdLinksCmd?type=man&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=APS620&langId=-1&page=&urlString=&productid=&brand=
--The owner's manual makes no mention of the LED, except for what it's going to do when you go to program replacement remotes.
--The installer's manual does mention the LED, but they use the same text that comes with their alarm systems. Audiovox seems to pay no attention whatsoever to what gets put into the manuals........just because it says it flashes with the car locked, doesn't mean it really does.
--You can read the programming options near the end of the install manual for yourself; there's no adjustment for how the LED operates.
--Go into either remote programming mode, or feature programming mode.......if the LED functions at that time, then it is installed correctly, and it simply serves no other purpose than as a programming aid.
--If the above is true, sorry, but you just drilled a hole in your dash for nothing. There are LEDs on the market that flash with the ignition off, as a phony car alarm......maybe you could put one of those into the hole.
--If you're going to install your own horn as a lock/unlock/panic, that's easy.
The horn should get its own ground by being mounted to the car's body. Run the horn's positive wire into the car.
Take the BLACK/ white horn output from the APS-620, and configure an ordinary SPDT automotive relay like this:
87, 85: FUSED constant power (around a 10-amp fuse ought to do it)
86: BLACK/ white from APS-620
87a: no connection
30: output to horn
TWO NOTES:
1. The APS-620's horn output is part of a separate, 3-pin plug on the brain. It most likely has been tossed out, or is in the install shop's spare-parts bin. You'll need to go get it from them.
2. Understandably, if a problem arises in the future, the install shop will be suspicious it's your fault. Do your work carefully and neatly, and try to stay away from their existing connections and wire routing paths.
ltssas 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all your help and imput.

Yes I do have both manuals and everything else,  including the box.

I asked them to give me everything not used when I set up the install, so I do have the wires, etc.

I'll try the program mode to see if the led lights.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

toms
onequikss 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have the same problem No led light if you figure it out let me know I tested everything and its not the wiring or led somthing in the box or programming.
onequikss 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
chris is correct I called tech and asked the 620 is a remote start keyless entry only and the led will only flash during programming the manual was a copy of a alarm and the part about the led needs to be updated in the instal manual
snotdobbs 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
yup sorry bud but that led is just for programming....it would be possible to run it as a "locked" indicator if you had a latching relay...out of curiousity....do you like the remote?  does it seem like it will last a while?  hey atleast your programming button is easy to find....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic