icon

should I upgrade power wire?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
turbovr6 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

I'm about to do an upgrade on my system. Currently I have a 10ft run of 8ga power wire going to my amp.

I am changing to a JBL 755.6 amp. specs are as follows:

GTO755.6

• 60W x 4 channels and 107W x 2 channels, at 4 ohms

• 80W x 4 channels, 150W x 2 channels at 2 ohms, 14.4V

• 160W x 2 channels, 300W x 1 channel at 4 ohms, 14.4V

• Dynamic power: 117W (channels 1, 2, 3, 4);

163W (channels 5, 6) into 2 ohms

max current draw of 87a

I will have the 4 channels running my door speakers, and channels 5and 6 bridged for my sub. So thats around 540 watts RMS total.

From what I've read here it looks like my 8ga is not sufficient enough to power the new amp. 4ga will be enough though I hope???

Thanks in advance

3cc_installer 
Copper - Posts: 43
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
4 gauge should work just fine.  It is always a good idea to overkill it though.  If you plan to upgrade again in the future you might as well put 0 gauge now.
Jared Nixon - A.K.A Jsmoke
3rd Coast Customs
Lake Charles, Louisiana
a471789 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

An 8-gauge kit would probably do the job.  However, just like 3cc_installer said, it's better to put in thicker cable.  I personally wouldn't put less than 4 gauge wire in there.  If you think you might upgrade and/or add another amp, put in a thicker wire.....you can always buy a distribution block.

Brent
MECP Advanced Installer
"I don't claim to know it all, just more than you."
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
I'd suggest 4 gauge or bigger. That amp has a combined power of 814 watts rms when all channels are loaded at lowest possible impedance...I definitely use 4 gauge. Also like the others said...upgrades
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know how you like to play your system or what speakers you use, but going on nothing but the specs of the amplifier...8 ga. is big enough. All channels driven into the lowest possible loads, it will draw 87 amps max according to your data. 8 gauge is good for 100 before it starts getting uncomfortably warm to the touch. And when you consider that any max number is short-lived, not sustained, the wire will likely never get warm.
Upgrade as you feel you have the money to work with.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic