the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Wiring 2 4-Ohm DVC Subs Going Crazy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  

prodigal wrote:
Questions:
Doesn't running 8 ohms require a greater current draw fron the battery cause i've known of cases where people running 8 ohm have to be adding battery water very often to their battery
Does running 1 voice coil have any effect on the speaker. If a dual voice coil speaker is rated at say 200 watts rms can you feed 200 watts into 1 voice coil or can you feed a higher wattage if the voice coils are combined?

"Running 8 ohm" will require less amplifier power than lower impedance loads so it will place less of a strain on a vehicle electrical system.  Your friends who are adding water to their batteries either need new batteries or better charging systems in their vehicles, it has nothing to do with an 8-ohm speaker load.  There is a long sticky thread about using one VC on a DVC speaker that you should read, but in general you need to de-rate the power handling to about 75%; meaning if your DVC speaker is rated at "200 watts" you need to use no more than 150 watts to one VC.

Support the12volt.com
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
go for a final load of 4 ohms and see how it sounds!
you'll be diggin it
strykerzx 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Well I went out and bought 2 800 watt mono block Pioneer amps.  They run at 2 ohms stable, so they work perfectly for pushing out the power I need for the 2 alpine type-r 12s.  I am supposed to be getting 380 watts to each sub.  With the subs rated at 500 watts rms, it should be safe for both my amplifiers and subs to run them the way I have them set up now.

Only problem now is that I am drawing way too much amperage from my amplifier, and they subs cut out after about a minute of loud playing.  They will cut out, then come back, then go back out, waiting on more power from the alternator in battery is what I am assuming.

The Pioneer 7200M amplifier has 2 30A fuses on it.  But the specifications sheet says it pulls 33A at continuous power at 4ohms.  16A current draw for mono at 2ohms.  Is there a difference between the current draw and current consumption?  And which number should I use when choosing a HO alternator?  If both amps are taking 33A each, then the 66A total from both amps and around 15A for my head unit, then Im adding about 80A of pull from my alternator and the factory electrical system.  Should I just buy a HO alternator that is rated at least 80A higher than my factory 80A alternator?  I have commited to a 130A alternator on ebay, but have not heard back from the seller, so I may have to cancel that alternator and buy another one.  Do you think a 130A alternator will be able to handle the draw and give me full power from both amps onto my subs, or should I tell the guy I dont want the 130 and get something larger?

Thank you for all of your comments so far, they have helped me build a larger and better sounding stereo system, I am almost done, just trying to put on the finishing touches now.

Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

Don't go with an alternator yet. Read the sticky regarding upgrading the "Big 3". Start there before doing anything else. It's the cheapest and easiest way to make sure you are getting the most from your charging system. Even if you beef up the alternator, the "Big 3" are going to be what is limiting the supply of power to your amps and back to your battery. Once you do that upgrade, if you are still having problems, the discussion can resume regaring an upgraded alternator. You can simply throw money at the problem, but if you do so with some direction, you can get the most bang for your buck.

That would be my opinion.

The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 31, 2007 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  

strykerzx wrote:
Only problem now is that I am drawing way too much amperage from my amplifier, and they subs cut out after about a minute of loud playing. 

That's a gain level adjustment.  They are not waiting for more power from the car's source when they cut out.  You need to set the amp gains correctly.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Brianas 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

once you set your gains properly--check your voltage right at the amp

while you have them playing.  most new amps out there wont actually shut

down until your below 11 volts.  I have never seen a need for an electrical system

upgrade- running just 2 small class D amps.. and come to think of it --check the impedence of your

subs wired up--with a dmm--to make sure you have a 2ohm load and are in fact wired up

correct.

g/l

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic