icon

9 conductor speaker wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
glen3787 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm currently looking for manufacturers and sources for multi-conductor speaker cable. So far, I have seen that Streetwires sells 9 conductor SmartWire in 18 gauge, and Monster Cable also offers the XLN OEM speaker cable 9 conductor in 16 gauge.
Anyone know of additional manufacturers of this 9+ conductor wiring, or have experience working with it?
Thanks!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2007 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Why are you interested in such a specification? Are you asking about 9 individually insulated conductors all held together by one outer insulating jacket?
What does it matter? (And in your answer, I'd like empirical PROOF that more conductors makes such a speaker cable "better", not marketing gobbledeygook from the manufacturers.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
C'mon Dave, we all know that Monster Cable puts enough large, technical-sounding words in their marketing ploys to make them fact.  9 conductor speaker wire - Last Post -- posted image.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2007 at 2:24 AM / IP Logged  

I use the 9 and 5 conductor wire from Aamp Of America (Speedwire) and I believe it is has 18 gauge conductors. The 9 wire uses the more standard speaker color wiring (purple, PURPLE / black trace, green, GREEN/ black trace, white, WHITE/ black trace, gray, gray/black trace, and a solid blue) while the 5 conductor uses the same colors except the PURPLE / PURPLE / black trace and the green, GREEN/ black trace wires.

What I use the 9 conductor wire for is when I extend off of the 4 radio outputs (8 speaker wires) and the turn on wire off of the radio back to an amplifier and then another run of the 9 conductor from the the outputs of the amplifier (but don't use the solid blue in this run) back up to the radio opening to connect into the factory harness. If I am adding a 2 or one channel amplifier to a factory radio to add something like a subwoofer then I use the 5 conductor to tap into the front speaker wires at the radio opening and then use the 5th for the amp turn on. 

The multiconductor wire does come in handy in some situations.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
painstaller 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2007 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
I use 9 conductor on a regular basis when adding 4 channel amps and such to vehicles as well as when I have to bypass factory amps and dont have the aftermarket harness readly available. We order ours from metra and its a huge time saver in the install bay. The days of pulling 4 pairs of speaker wire and a single remote are over as far as I'm concerned. Its a great product get your hands on some and try it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic