the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

crossover use and speaker placement

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

The LCR speakers are fantastic sounding systems, but there is no way you could duplicate them in a car.  Using the same drivers is not the same thing at all, as at least 50% of the sound character comes from the crossover and the D'Appolito alignment and the way the woofers function in that particular volume ported enclosure.  You could never duplicate them in a car; well, maybe you could actually build a set and mount them in a van.  crossover use and speaker placement - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Back to your application: mount an Extremis in each front door and basically create a 3-way set with your Focal components.  Keep the 3 speakers as close together as you can.  Set up a subwoofer with LP at about 60Hz.  Bandpass the Extremis woofers between 60Hz and about 250Hz.  HP the Focal component set at 250Hz (use the supplied passive crossover with each set.)  This should give you quite a bit of low-end punch.  I'd use one Extremis in each front door operating off channels 3 and 4 of a 4-channel amp, with the Focal comps driven by channels 1 and 2.  Don't worry about adding anything to the back doors until you get the fronts set up correctly.

Now, as to the outstanding set of mids and tweeters you have, purchase a 0.75 cuft speaker enclosure set from Parts Express or Madisound, mount your other Extremis woofer, one of the 125's and one of the Usher tweeters in each enclosure.  Port the enclosure with a 2" flared port for 30Hz.  Build a good 3-way crossover at about 400Hz/5KHz and you'll have a really killer stereo set for your home.  Just make sure your amplifier or receiver can handle a 4-ohm load since you bought the 4-ohm woofers.  Rock and roll.

Support the12volt.com
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
I never really thought it would make that much difference. I learn something everytime I get on this site. I'll set my front doors up that way. I've decided to go with the Zapco DC1000.4 just to make everything easier and more reliable. AS far as the home setup, I think I might go a step further by purchasing a pair of 8ohm Adires to use a my front speakers and then maybe I can just get AcousticVisions to sell me a set of their Kit641 x-overs. Then I could use the 2 4ohms Extremis I have as sub(s).
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
A pair of Extremis woofers in 2 cuft enclosure (shared volume) with a single port of 4" @ 16" long gives a nice flat output from about 28Hz to higher than your crossover point will be, and produces about 115db with 200 watts input.  A nice little subwoofer.
Support the12volt.com
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Ok I'll start working on that box as i get time. thanks for everyone's input. I'll be working more on the install as the weather gets warmer. thank again...
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic