icon

alarms cheap vs expensive

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hinge817 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
ive always thought that a cheap alarm will do just as good as an expensive one if it was installed properly. im looking into a fairly cheap alarm with remote start included, found on ebay of course. i guess the question im askin is should i look into a higher end name brand such as Cifford or Viper or will the cheaper non name brand one work just as well? either way i think ill have to take a weeks vacation to install whichever i choose, to do it properly i mean. any thoughs or comments would help. thanks
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  

scary.

Cheaper isn't relative here.. Most prices you see in stores include installation.

so that viper 771 that's 350$ is basic labor included.

when you see it online for 139.99 that's without the 229.99 that we charge to install alarm/rs/keyless.

as for do it yourself, if you don't have alot of experience. unless it's like a 96 honda civic.. i'd be very wary.

hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
alright, just was wonderin what the general consencus thought. i have a lil more than basic skills as far as wiring and installs go. ill be puttin the new alarm in a 2003 dodge ram regular cab with no alarm or power anything. i have added a autolock power lock kit thats wired to the cheapo alarm thats in it now. this site has been way more than helpful as far as info and advice. dunno what id do without it. thanks guys an gals
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  
as with anything else in the world, you get what you pay for. maaaany of the problems with remote starters and alarms in caused by bad installation, although with cheaper products comes many problems usually. the units are more likely to malfunction, especially in really cold weather. parts are harder to find and usually wont be covered under warranty. features are limited and programming is usualy more difficult. the wires are usually smaller guage. \installs are usually more messy since the brain and harness' arnt arranged more conveniently. most shops won;t recognize the product so if you have a problem, they may have a hard time helping you out if they don't have the wiring sheet. i can go on and on, but i think my point is made. i personaly believe that when it comes to remote starters and alarms, if your already willing to spend the money, its usually not THAT much extra to get quatlity product and its definatly worth your while....
evileagletalon 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I used to install the cheaper alarms for customers, they would bring me their own alarms. Most work great today, but there are a few that just wouldn't work, such as the scytek astra 777. It's an odds game when it comes down to cheap alarms. Now, I won't install anything but Compustar alarms. If they want me to install a cheap alarm, I tell them that I'm gunna charge more, due to the install, and the bad quality of the alarm. If you're already gunna spend the money for an install, atleast scrounge up a few more bucks for a quality unit.
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Spend the money in the long run you'll be happy you did, unless you like trying to troubleshoot problems. We won't install the cheapr brands that can be bought at walmart/kmart and such its just not worth it. Purchasing it on ebay is  straight up gamble with what your going to get.

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  

Difference in price is how long it will relably last.  But paying big $ doesn't mean your getting better product.   You need to do your research, exspecially when there are companies like DEi who buy up the competition when they effect their profit margin, market their product under numerous brand names..  Check out their warrenty, if its life time chances are its better than ones that come with one week warrenty.  Don't pay for features you'll never use.

hinge817 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
thanks for all the advice. this site has been a lifesaver... well ya know. lots of great and honest opinions along with install tips and diagrams. thanks again

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic