the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

subs and ohms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  
Here is the way I would do it.
Stereo amp, stable to 2 ohms per channel.
Wire the single voice coil woofers in stereo mode to the amp - one woofer to each channel. Wire the DVC woofer in series, so it is an 8 ohm woofer, and wire that in bridged mode across the channels. This will assure you that all the woofers will get the same amount of power, and will all run at (relatively) equal loudness.
With those three woofers, you will not be able to guarantee proper power distribution ANY OTHER WAY.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Okay.  These subs are not terribly dissimiliar, and efficiency is about the same.  They both use a sealed enclosure of about 1 cu ft per sub.  But the best advice is:

Use just the two 1041s wired together in parallel to make a 2 ohm load.  Build a nice 2 cu ft (internal size) box, sealed.  Use a mono amplifier that is rated at up to 500 watts RMS output at 2 ohms.  With good clean installation and careful gain setting and positioning, you'll have a nice sub system.

But if you are hellbent on using the combination of the three subs, you can do that if you wish without severe problems.  I would advise using separate enclosures so that you don't stick yourself with a three-holed box that is difficult to find a good combination of subs for.  You should use a 2 cu ft box and a 1 cu ft box, internal airspace after all displacements have been accounted for.  All should be sealed.

Wiring would look like:

subs and ohms - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

This is a series/parallel wiring configuration.  The DVC 1042D would get about the same power as the two 1041s combined, but that might not bother you and it may work out okay when all is said and done.  The load is 4 ohms, so you can use any type of amplifier.  Probably best to use a two channel amp that is rated for bridged output of 600 watts at 4 ohms bridged.  This would equate with a stereo rating of 2 X 300 watts at 2 ohms, so double-check that in the specs.  You can use less power, but no more than this.  And this is RMS output, not "peak" ratings.

EDIT:  I just saw haemphyst's post.  That's interesting....hmm.

Yup.  I agree with  Dave's wiring.  Disregard the connection between the two 1041s in my pic, and just let the wires exit the box individually for those two woofers.  Here is a wiring diagram complements of BCAE1.com:

All else I said about power still applies.

Here's a new diagram.  I fixed it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
hatchtjuggal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
  • 1 or 2 channel operation
  • 150 watts RMS x 2 chan. @ 4 Ohms / 300 watts RMS x 2 chan. @ 2 Ohms / 600 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 Ohms
  • Bridgeable A/B Class Amplifier Topography
  • Ultra-Fi MOSFET Outputs
  • DC, Short, Thermal Overload Protection
  • Illuminated Hifonics Logo
  • PWM MOSFET EXVP (Exponential Vari-Power Supply)
  • SPC Twin Turbo-Torroids with Simpatico Coil Design
  • Fully Adjustable Accu Cross
  • Crossover Includes:
    • 12 dB Hi-Pass Crossover
    • 24 dB Low-Pass Crossover
  • Bass Boost:
    • 18 dB Variable Bass Equalization
  • Remote Bass Control Included
  • RCA Line Outputs:
    • Permit Amplifier Daisy-Chaining
  • 4 Gauge Power Connectors
  • Dimensions: L14.88" x W10.39" x H2.5"
  • 1-year Sonic Electronix warranty

HIFONICS-ZXi-6006-Zeus-2-CHAN-CAR-AMPLIFIER-AMP-ZXi6006_

ok would this one be good? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Please read the forum rules and do not post ebay links.  Thank you.
Support the12volt.com
hatchtjuggal 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
sorry about that i forgot
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic