icon

bi amping advice needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
caddytruck 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
 I was looking for some advice on bi amping my component speakers. I have a precision power ax 606.2 6 channel art series. My components are boston acoustic pro series. I have decided against rear fill. So i can devote 4 channels to my component set. They come with passive crossovers. My amp has a very good active crossover built into the chassis. a 456 to be exact. I guess my question is should i still use the passive crossovers in conjunction with the active? Or rely on the actice crossover. Also the component set at reated at 3 ohm's, by splitting them is my amp going to see them as (4) 6 ohm speakers?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
1: If your amplifiers crossover can MATCH THE CROSSOVER POINTS of the passive crossovers, then yes, you can use the active crossovers exclusively.
2: No, the amplifier will see four 3-ohm loads, UNLESS you are going to use two channels for the tweeters and bridge the ramaining four channels to the mids, in that case it will see two 3-ohm loads and four 1.5-ohm loads. I wouldn't recommend this... I would go 5 channel mode - 2 channels for the tweeters, 2 channels for the mids, and bridge the remaining channels to a nice, efficient subwoofer.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
caddytruck 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
Do i still need to use both crossovers though? That is exactly what i was  thinking.  5 channel mode. I was debating about using a jl 8w7 in a sealed enclosure. The sub channel is a pro art 50, 1x400w @2 ohm mono or 200w x 2 at 1 ohm mono. I iwant to flush mount above the spare tire . just even with the floor. Any thoughts on the w7? Any other suggestions? my box will only be able to be around 1.2 cuft at the most!! i would be able to put 300 art series watts to the w7 at 3 ohm mono.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2007 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
No, one or the other.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2007 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  
Just remember to keep the tweeter protected. Leaving a tweeter unprotected by an inadequate crossover will destroy it relatively quickly.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic