icon

multiple grounds

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sonicdrft 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

First off its a 94 s10 blazer and im hooking up a few aftermarket gauges by the center console...and a couple switches...i have a kinda distribution thingy under the console so i can run my power wires to it and now im wondering how to run multiple grounds..so thats my question...how can i?

thanx all help is appreciated...

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
One of millions of possible ways is to use a distribution block or a series of blocks as well. Run a heavy ga. wire to the block from a good, clean chassis ground point and run the ground wires from all your stuff to the blocks.
sonicdrft 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

ok i guess i should have mentioned im tryin to do this with as little money as possible....not sure where to even get one or how much that would cost....is there any way to make one myself?

thanx

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2007 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  

You can find a distribution block at any retailer that sells car audio and these are generally plated and designed for high current audio applications, however they can be used for anything. You could find something cheaper for smaller ga. wire at an autoparts store or electronics outlet.

However, if you are trying to save money all you have to do is ground the gauges. The best way to do this is to crimp and/ or solder ring terminals to all the ground wires, then run them in a neat harness to a bolt that is attached to metal of the vehicle. This is typically what the factory does as well. For audio applications you might pick up noises if connected to a factory "cluster" ground like this but with gauges it will work fine if done properly. Since you are under the console area already just look for a metal bolt and check that it is a good ground with a dmm(as close to zero ohms as possible). If there are not any good grounding points you may have to drill a hole into a metal bracket somewhere nearby and attach the grounds there with your own nut and bolt as well as a star washer. Many installers simply use self tapping screws for grounding. Although this will work it is not the most reliable method since self tapping screws tend to loosen from stripping out and cause intermittent problems.

Remember with all DC electronics that the ground (or negative) is just as important as the positive. If there is not a good solid ground the current has a poor or no path back to the battery. Any resistance will cause voltage drop and problems.

Good Luck

sonicdrft 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
ok thanx that helps also...ok u mentioned maybe a self tapping screw into metal..now is there a certain spot to do that as in a type of metal or certain spot on the car...or can u just screw right into the metal of the floor..?  thanx again..
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2007 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

I prefer NOT screwing into anything...a bolt,nut and star washer is really bulletproof. However, anything in the vehicle that is metal and touching the chassis should be ground...and that includes screwing into the floor.

If you must do it with a screw this is the best approach. First scrape away any paint, coatings etc until you see clean, bare metal. Predrill the hole as self tappers tend to strip out. Use a stainless sheet metal screw to help avoid corrosion which will eventually set in and perhaps cause problems with the performance of the gauges. A star washer can't hurt as it helps grip into the metal for a good ground connection as well as help prevent the screw from coming loose...however unlike a bolt I can't say a screw will never come loose because it can..especially if it is only through a thin single layer of sheet metal.

Of course always keep in mind to know whats behind ANYTHING you decide to drill into..could be a tranny line..wire harness or a host of other goodies so use caution and common sense.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic