icon

unusual whining noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
electrical tape blocks electromagnetic interference?  unusual whining noise - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
jjermzz wrote:
Tape the RCA jacks. Easiest and less time consuming.

They might be touching. I work at BestBuy car audio. Some Kid from Verizon ask "my system is making a whining noise?" All I remember he has 2 alpine Type-R.

I told him the electromagnetic field (EMF) spiel could carry thru RCA if any power(even the cars harness can produces EMF) and rca are ran together. Then I told him about bad ground. I told him first tape the RCA jack. Even if they are not touching you still got EMF.

What happened? Two weeks later, saw him at work, no more noise. Electrical tape around all the RCA jacks. He was happy.

This is absolute BS.  If tape helped then it was because the connections were loose.  Tape will have NO, ZERO, NADA effect on EMI.  Please do not spread bad information here, thanks.

Support the12volt.com
duct tape 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2007 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
jjermzz wrote:

They might be touching. I work at BestBuy car audio. Some Kid from Verizon ask "my system is making a whining noise?" All I remember he has 2 alpine Type-R.

I told him the electromagnetic field (EMF) spiel could carry thru RCA if any power(even the cars harness can produces EMF) and rca are ran together. Then I told him about bad ground. I told him first tape the RCA jack. Even if they are not touching you still got EMF.

What happened? Two weeks later, saw him at work, no more noise. Electrical tape around all the RCA jacks. He was happy.

This is absolute BS.  If tape helped then it was because the connections were loose.  Tape will have NO, ZERO, NADA effect on EMI.  Please do not spread bad information here, thanks.

aww, i wanted some of his magic tape  unusual whining noise - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.

rjp9602@cox.net 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Okay i fixed the problem i believe, i went with a pioneer head unit that uses high level outputs instead of the low level outputs, and it sounds great. Gain can be set all of the way up with no noise problems. I guess im good at wiring after all.
duct tape 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

rjp9602@cox.net wrote:
Okay i fixed the problem i believe, i went with a pioneer head unit that uses high level outputs instead of the low level outputs, and it sounds great. Gain can be set all of the way up with no noise problems. I guess im good at wiring after all.

you did turn the gains back down to a proper setting after you tested for noise right?   with a high preout voltage head unit, setting the gains all the way up would be a bad idea.

rjp9602@cox.net 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Of course, just as a test for noise, did it turn them up. Thank all of you for your help.
jjermzz 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
jjermzz wrote:

I'm not saying I saw a ghost. Its a true story. In his case, the JACKS WERE TOUCHING, when he put electrical tape it created a gap(so they don't touch any more).

I never said Electrical tape will block EMF. I told the kid about EMF. Thats it.

It was the easiest solution ever and it was free. No new radio solved the problem. Electrical tape.

If someone told you to try it and it didn't work would you be mad? How bout if it worked? How much is really invested in trying this. It is worth try. In my case it worked

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
If RCA jacks are shorting out to each other then either the RCA cables are crap or the gear is defective.  No commercially available stereo RCA set will allow jacks to short out to each other without a lot of effort and damage.  And if you mean the plastic insulation was touching, then adding tape would still do nothing.  Perhaps you solved this particular problem when you added the tape, but unless the metal parts were touching (and if they were you have bigger problems) it was not the tape that solved it, it was coincidence.  It is physically impossible for electrical tape to block induction.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic