icon

using insulation foam in a can

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2007 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
and a warning... the only way this stuff cures is with air and room to move... so if you do two layers without letting the first layer dry first, you get goo at the bottom... and thats simply not good
*sigh*
but it looks really promising, the work i did after i figured that out... really promising. i can't wait to start laying glass.
spawn12336 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Be aware that some resins will react with and eat away at the spray foam. Also, I've noticed that it leaves bubbles, sometimes quite large in the middle of the foam.
"the universe has a way of balancing itself"
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  
another thing..the stuff WILL swell even if it does not have room to move...it will bend body panels as it dries even if it has room to escape...senn it happen. But the stuff has puposes too if used correctly.
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
having massive success with it now... i've started sanding it into the geometry i wish to see in teh door panel... the arm rest where there was non before, a handle to pull the door shut, where there was non before, and a speaker ring for my Blaupunkts. oh yes. its going to be pretty. this panel is an experiment peice right now...
but its feather light still, and i keep staring at it... i have to be to work at 8 am and i'm tempted to back over and start sanding on it.
put down one bead at a time till you get a feel for it... build up foam in shapes generalized for the geometry you want. use MDF if you want to make it more rigid. the results are... awesome.
david pascale 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
try two part foam about the same price but it is ment for forming molds, you can find it on the net
information is the key to solving problems
maglin 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
the stuff i'm using is working like a dream. just gotta work out the kinks and learn how to do something without the good howto to go with it.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Try to post a pic of how it's going, I am curious as I have not tried using spray foam for that purpose.

I have seen people that will use it like a poor-mans dynamat. What happens is they spray it into a fender, trunk lid, behind the tail lights etc. area...now since the air dries it quicker the exposed area will harden first..trapping "goo" inside the blob. As the inside goo dries more slowly it expands..and is trapped inside the solid air-exposed outer "crust". Thats how you warp a body panel. It can't escape the way it went in so it just swells.

As far as using it for molds I know the stuff dries pretty strong and light..actually making it a very good candidate for molds if it works..but I am wondering how it sands and if it gets air pockets, which can be a pain if you hit a hollow abyss while sanding. I also have concern if you resin it I think it would disolve.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic