icon

using alarm aux as a fuel pump kill?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

ah ok..it seems we were over analizing this one.  Well just hide a switch in a really good spot that a thief won't find.

Cut the fuel pump wire in a hard to find spot towards the rear of the vehicle...believe me I can't imagine a thief looking that hard. Like stated earlier be extra careful with your connections as unlike a starter kill a fuel or ignition cutoff that goes bad will cause the vehicle to stall..not the safest thing at 3 in the morning friday night on a highway. If your connections are solid there is no reason to fear doing a fuel cut-off.....only those who do not know how to make a good connection would worry about failure.

Good Luck

redshift 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
No need to worry here. This will be battery backed-up and all connections will be soldered and heat-shrinked. All connections and relays will be made behind trim panels so I always take the time to do them right the first time. :) I'd much rather spend an extra few hours wiring it initially than have to pull the car apart again to fix it when it fails in the future.
BTW, the alarm is a Python 900, which is a DEI product. I wasn't aware that you could program AUX outputs to be momentary or constant. That will even save me a few relays.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

Yea thats one of the things I like about DEI products..they really did thier homework on the upper lines as far as vesatility and ease of programming.

Good to hear that you take the time (and pride) in your work..too many hacks out there. Do it right the first time..every time...installers creed.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Will do. Thanks for the help!
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2007 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure how the aux output on your alarm is set up when it's in constant mode, but it'd have to be a mechanical latching relay (which I'm guessing it isn't), or a solid state ground switched output, if you're planning on using it continuously when the car isn't running.
Otherwise you'd have a drain on the battery from the energized relay coil.
If it's a ground switched output, you can use that to ground one side of the coil of your interrupt relay, with the other side going to the ignition power. That way there's no drain when the car's off, and the relay will open your circuit if the ignition is switched on.
As reliable as your triggering circuit is, it still might be good to put a backup system in the form of a mechanical switch hidden in some out of the way place, so you can bypass it if it happens to fail.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2007 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

I would imagine it would need to be configured N/C..the output programmed to "latch" , which is a negative out. Connect that to 85 of the relay. Put 86 to ignition and interupt the fuel pump through 30 and 87a.

If someone wanted to do it this way it would work fine but you would probably want to add an LED or something so you know when the latched output is on or off.

The latched output coming from the DEI unit draws no more current if on or off, it is solid state.

No problem really.

redshift 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
Thought I'd bring this back up to answer it.
I did end up using the AUX channel to kill the fuel pump and it worked, but I changed it before I buttoned it back up.
Since the car already had a starter kill that I didn't want to un-engineer and change to the alarm ground-when-armed output (one of those microchip in the slot things), I just used the alarm ground-when-armed output to drive a Bosch relay that kills the fuel pump circuit. It was cleaner wiring that way since I didn't have to reverse polarity on the output, and this way I can't forget to set it when I park the car.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic