icon

05 mustang loc issue?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
5.7mopar 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
I just put a line out converter on the factory head unit (shaker 500) for a 2005 mustang and am experiencing some sound level issues. As soon as it was spliced into the factory rear speaker wires the sound level on the rear speakers drop dramatically. Its about half as loud as it was before the LOC was put in. I thought maybe the LOC was bad so I replaced it with a different one but am still having the same problem. I used line out converters plenty of times but this is the first I have ever had this issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?
leey 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

i have never heard of what your desribing but if i had to guess i would say that the split in power could have caused the loss in volume. you could try going to crutchfield.com and talking to one of there tech help people they have 24 hour chat lines with people that can help. hopefully this can help you.

splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
i am going to say u probley have a premium sound system in there right?
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

He stated a shaker 500 system..I don't think ford has called it "premium sound" since the 1980's..lol

Anyhow..I have added an amp/subs to a ton of those with no problems..the LOC's are designed for this purpose so the problem you describe makes no sense....however..to your defense...many things I notice on fords make no sense.

Tap off a rear speaker wire and be done with it...you must be tapped onto something wrong. If still having a problem pop the deck out (very easy) and tap into these color wires.

LR Speaker  +  gray/lt. blue    - tan / YELLOW  

RR Speaker  + ORANGE / red     - BROWN / pink  

Best of luck and keep us posted..I am curious about this one.

5.7mopar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah this HU is about as basic as they get when it comes to Ford. I don't think it has a factory amp but if it did could that be affecting the sound level?
I know I have the correct wires tapped. I can see the bottom of the rear speakers from the trunk. Do you think it would make any difference where I tapped the wires? Right now its tapped right behind the HU. What if I were to tap it right at the rear speakers instead? I'm most likely going to try that tomorrow. Other than that, I'm out of ideas. 05 mustang loc issue? - Last Post -- posted image.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2007 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
The shaker systems do have amps, that is why your volume level has dropped, as you have decreased the input signal by tapping to the wires at the head unit.    You best bet would be to tap eiter at the speakers themselves or at the amp which whould be located in the trunk under the rear window deck
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
5.7mopar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
That makes a lot of sense. I'll for sure try tapping them at the speakers then. Thanks for the help everyone.
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2007 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  

Actually the shaker 500 systems work like this. There is deck power AND an amp. The deck powers the mid/highs in the doors and on the rear deck. These are crossed over high pass internally from the head unit. The amp powers the speakers that are in the bottom of the doors and 2 more on the rear deck as well..they are crossed over to play sub frequencies. The shaker 1000 actually has a sub enclosure with 2 - 10'' subs in the right rear 1/4 panel.

This is why if you change the deck you must put caps on the wires at the dash..and use a deck with adjustable sub outs..the harness adaptor has another plug witch you splice RCA's onto for the factory "subs"

So it will work if you tap onto the rear speakers (the ones that play sub) as they will be crossed over for sub already. I still don't understand why tapping off the deck wires would cause a volume loss...you all know the LOC's have resistors in them..the amount of "audio" signal they use is minimal..it should not be noticed by ear..and I have never seen one do this before...regardless of where I tap (before or after the amp...or straight out of the deck.

But regardless, in this case you are better off tapping off the amplified speakers since the deck power is high pass filtered.

5.7mopar 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2007 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Here's an update:
I unhooked the LOC at the HU and spliced it in right at the rear speakers instead and it sounds great. No sound loss like before. Thanks again to those who me fix this.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic