icon

hid upgrade

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
guillo87 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2007 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I drive a scion tc and want to upgrade to hids...but i heard it can fry your wiring...maybe a relay harness...where can i found one thanks...
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

You need relays for BOTH headlights. First off, does the car have daytime running lights? Next, does it have seperate bulbs for HIbeam, and low? If it has 1 bulb, you will loose your high beams, or pay thru the @$$ for the motorized kit, to give you HI and low beam. These syatems are NOT plug and play, so don't be fooled by silver tounged sales people. P.M. me if you got more questions, and if you got answers to my questions......

P.S. in most states, it's an illegal modification.

guillo87 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
I dont have DRLs and i have a seperate bulb for the high beams
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

P.S. in most states, it's an illegal modification.

If this is an illegal modification, why is it allowed to be discussed, but whenever there are topics on having a TV in the drivers view, they get shut down for any talk on modifying the wiring to be able to play video while in motion? I think that is complete bs, as in my perspective throwing HID's into a housing not designed to accomodate HID's is way worse. You are not only affecting your own visibility, but are making it worse for everybody else on the road.
This is a problem that really needs to be fixed, because it is only done for the bling factor with no consideration of the consequences!!!
This is exactly why rebased HID kits are illegal!!!
Eclipse 8445, Kicker DS60's, Hifonics TXi4400, Eclipse SW6143DVC, and Power Acoustik LT980-2.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 24, 2007 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  

I have managed to find the sections of my headlights tht "throw" the nasty glage. I have black sign vinal on the ares the the NSTY glare comes from...still with AWSOME visability....no glare. No flashing at me. I love it

2006 civic.

shep1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 3:45 AM / IP Logged  

We have HID systems fitted here in the Uk, as standard on all UK spec LandRovers and Vauxhalls (opel) Jags ect. With out much problems. Why are they illegal in the US? Do they have glare problems? When it was first released in to the UK they were problems regarding bulb life and dazzerling on coming drivers. Dazzerling was down to incorrect head lamp aim. Vehicles had auto adjust head lamps that were set wrong at the factory. Which were soon sorted out. What voltages do the US spec system work on? And what other problems were there?

Thanks shep1 

P.A.SHEPHERD m.i.m.i       a.m.s.o.e    a.m.i.r.t.e
KarTuneMan 
Posted: April 25, 2007 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
12volts. The problem we have in the US is the governing officials (the department of transportation) are idiots. This is just one of the issues. The other issue is the type of design in the headlight assembly itself. They just arent designed for the intensity and the brilliant arcing luminescence. The lihght goes astray and is REAL tough to drive into. Issue #1 if the manufacturers of ALL cars could just see the benefits of the HID.....we would all be safer on the road. We could see, and be seen. And yes, we have our share of "kids" and adult's that are unaware of the need to consider re-aiming their lights. Glare is a HUGE problem. Our people at the top tell the car makers what we in the USA will tolerate. It stinks. I hit a dear with my stock yellow lights in a brand new Civic.... I truley believe, had I had the HID's I now own.....I would have NOT struck this animal. Our D.O.T. has their hands in our butts on alot of issues that seem to be non-issues in other countries.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
the problem is we have idiots putting HIDs in housings that were not designed for HIDs, which is illegal. There is a stamp on the headlight lense that states what type of bulb the housing was designed for, and if it is different, then it is illegal. You guys really should educate yourselves on HIDs!
Eclipse 8445, Kicker DS60's, Hifonics TXi4400, Eclipse SW6143DVC, and Power Acoustik LT980-2.
KarTuneMan 
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

mustangfoo wrote:
the problem is we have idiots putting HIDs in housings that were not designed for HIDs, which is illegal. There is a stamp on the headlight lense that states what type of bulb the housing was designed for, and if it is different, then it is illegal. You guys really should educate yourselves on HIDs!

Well thank you................... I don't wish to get into a urinating contest, but I will put my I.Q. up against yours, any day of the longest month, as you refer to me as an idiot.  If this post cost's me my membership to the 12volt.....so be it.    But I wil NOT be insulted in this fashion.     And, thanks again.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic