icon

dei 508d sensor position orientation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
psyopwarlord 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

The manual states the sensor should be position with the mounting tabs to the front and rear of the vehicle and level.  I was placing the sensor in the center console of my 2002 Ford Escape mounted to the bottom of the lid.  That way its on top inside the console and anything I place in the console would be below it and not blocking the sensor in any way.

Can the sensor be mounted upside down so I can mount it easlily to the bottom of the lid?  Or does it have to be face up (adjustment screws towards top) for it to work correctly (manual doesn't say)?  If it has to be top up I'd just have to use longer screws to attach to the lid due to the mounting tab locations on the sensor but that makes it harder for adjustments.

I've seen people talk about mounting to the roofs headliner but never stated if it was right-side up or upside down.

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

The main concern I would have about the way you are doing it is with the ground plane...from all my experience with radar sensors they should be mounted to a metal surface to give reliable performance.

I have heard about people mounting them on the headliner...I have never done this but if I did I would mount it upside down so the roof itself would be the ground plane. Other then it being upside down I don't think this should have a negative effect on the elliptical fields it is supposed to sense movement in.

I would not want to mount it upside down on the lid however..no ground plane equals false alarms and intermitant sensitivity issues. Now others may have suggestions as well..I can't argue..I can only give advice based on my 15plus years of installing these sensors.

Strykrincognito 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  

When I went through the research to pick up a Proximity sensor, I found that the most current versions of the 508d DO NOT require a metal ground plane.

I have mine mounted in the center console assembly in my 04 mustang, between the shiftboot and the first cup holder, so the tuning screws are right below the nearly useless removable coin-slot insert. I have it calibrated quite nicely so that you have to be right up beside the vehicle to trigger, and the access to the adjustemtn screws is optimal.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with you Strykrincognito and never meant to imply that the sensor "required" a ground plane to operate. However, I have found that reliability can be an issue if it is not mounted with metal behind it...which BTW it is on your vehicle by being mounted under the center console.

If the floor of your vehicle was not metal any small animal crawling underneath it would cause a false..but that is not really the concern with a ground plane.

This is what I have found can happen..lets say you decide to mount it behind the dash mounted vertically. Now it will still work..and it will still trigger the stages when the field is disturbed. Where you run into problems is with the field shape, I have seen it where it won't pick up being close to the vehicle..but a bird flying by sets it off, things like that.

I have a few incidences with these I can share although these circumstances have nothing to do with the ground plane, just general things that can happen with these sensors.

Once a customer complained that every time they parked and armed the alarm, it would false..but in a few minutes it would be fine. I found it was too many large things hanging from the rear view mirror as the culprit.

Had another time when the sensitivity was over sensitive in some spots..and none at all in others....coins in the console (it was mounted underneath like Strykrincognito did). It is a great location but these sensors can not see though metal...it only blocks and/or deflects the field in an unwanted way so you need to watch that.

I installed one in a large boat to protect the inside entrance and the customer said it would false at nights only..every time I went to check the system, it worked flawlessly. Turns out at night he raises the boat out of the water....a low hanging tree branch was the culprit...I cut it down and now all is well.

So you see there are some concerns with these type sensors. But I will add that they are probably the most difficult for a thief to get around, especially if they do not know you have one. I recommend them on every install and always use them in my own vehicles. Shock sensors are easily gotten around and EVERY system uses those so most thiefs already expect it and break the window with methods that do not impact the vehicle..but allow them entry through the broken window. A prox sensor will cover that problem every time. Also great for Jeeps and other soft top vehicles and allows you to leave the windows open and still have a form of interior protection.

But still do not leave anything of value in sight..no sensor can actually stop a thief from physically reaching in a grabbing stuff..even a blaring siren. Leaving a rabid dobermann in there might be more effective..lol

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
Strykrincognito 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

True that there is metal under the center console; When i read the specifications for this sensor and others, I interpreted it that it had to be physically mounted to the metal surface (when requred). In my mounting setup I have it actually suspended off the metal body of the car, and is actully lashed to the center console assembly. It floats roughly about an inch or so off the frame.

I agree that a metal plane or 'wall' will prohibit the transmission of the field.

I have also noticed, in another thread on here, that they say tinted windows cause the sensors to fail if the tint itself has any metal content. At this time I have 35%VLT poly tint on my windows (shop installed, 'thicker type', wanted greater durability and longevity) though it doesn't have any mirror or metal-like visible content to it. With my 508d where it is, properly calibrated, works just fine. With the windows down it doesn't seem any more sensitive either. I have the 'inner' bubble edge just about 1-2" from inside the glass.

It also should be noted that, for the install of the sensor, the bubble appears to be oval in shape, so the need to have the sensor placed lengthwise front to back is merely for the opimal coverage of the bubble on the car. it's to the customer's preference really as far as orientation goes depending on how they want the bubble exposed.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

Actually the shape is (at least on the ones I have used) is 2 "bubbles" kinda like an "8" from the center when it is mounted flat and front side facing forward so location will totally have an effect on how it picks up. I notice the newer sensors have foil on the bottom which must give it a small ground plane..I can't see hovering 1'' over metal being an issue regardless..I would be concerned if it was several inches or more, that could effect the field.

As far as tint I have only experienced blockage if the tint has any metal content..that will cause it to not work well if at all with the windows closed. Non-metallic tint seems to cause no problems.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic