icon

sub enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigcoop 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2007 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
hey ive got 2 audiobahn AW122N's and my question..
i currently have 1 in a sealed inclosure with proper cuft.. now i just bought another one.. i have a 2 channel amp and im running each sub of 1 channel. im pushin about 400watts rms to each sub. i want to put the new one in a ported enclosure. is this a good idea.. 2 subs same amp to different enclosers???
thanks...     
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
I see no real problem with it. The ported box will probably more output at its tuned frequency but if there is no subsonic filter the power handling of the sub in the ported box is reduced has you drop below the Fs so you may have to spend a little extra time and care setting the gain since there is typically only one control for both channels and not seperate.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

No, IMO, not a good idea at all.  You will get no benefit whatsoever by using two different alignments with your sub bass.  On the contrary, the sound will suffer because of it.

I worked this up in WinISD and it looks best as a vented application (although the parameters say otherwise).  Go to Audiobahn's website and look up the 2005 woofer database.  You will find box parameters for this sub.  Choose the box size that is labeled "ultimate SPL bass box".  I would make both of the 4" ports 12" long instead of 10.5", though.  Notice that it is two ports per sub.

You will also need to use a 30 Hz highpass filter in any alignment bigger than 1 cu ft / sub sealed.  Note:  you can build this vented box so that it allows up to 4 cu ft per sub if you wish.  Best response is with the larger enclosure, and port sizes remain as stated above.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bigcoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  

hey thanks,

my idea was that the sealed one would hit a little clearer and the ported on would but out some nice rummbley low lows...  but not so as ur saying

thanks

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 11, 2007 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
You can get a pretty good sealed alignment with this sub in 3 cu ft, but you need the high pass at 30 Hz if you intend to crank this system up.  And most of us do at some point or another  ;) 
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bigcoop 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  

thanks all for your help

i thought each sub need 1.45cuft per sub.. i thought thats what the spec's said

thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic