icon

defective 555p?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
init 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  

I have installed the Viper responder remote start/keyless entry/security system, and I've just now got around to installing the remote start portion of it.

All of the Viper wires are hooked up correctly and I have been using the valet mode for a while.  I like being able to leave the engine running without having to leave the keys in.

Of course, I needed to get a bypass module to actually use the remote start remotely, rather than having the key in ignition.  I looked around and figured that the best options were the Directed 555F or the 555P. (I have a 1999 Ford Explorer with PATS.) I work at a place that sells this stuff so I went to see but we didn't have these. I ended up finding the 555P at a local shop.

I have installed the 555P after reading the instruction sheet.  I found the harness coming out of the steering column and made the connections there.  I connected the data and sync lines, and then I followed the instructions for connecting the pink and pink/white wire.  The 3rd wire in the harness was powered on ignition, so I cut it and made the connections to the 555P.

I connected the 555P to power and ground and made a temporary connection to the negative output of the remote start.  But the 555P will not activate.

After playing around with it, I could get it to activate (signified by the red LED next to the harness port), but the LED would remain on for more than 3 seconds which is what te instructions suggested.  I tried everything I could think of but then it started raining on my ass so I had to pick up and leave it for another day.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
init wrote:

I connected the 555P to power and ground and made a temporary connection to the negative output of the remote start.  But the 555P will not activate.

What negaitve trigger did you use from the remote start? You should use the pink (-) ignition output. Using the blue wire causes problems because it activates too soon.
init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2007 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

I had used the blue/white wire, the 200mA negatve status output.  I didn't realize this wasn't the best option.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and see.  This might explain the bypass module's erratic operation.

init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
I think I might have figured out the problem.  Weather here's been pretty bad, though, so havn't had the time.
init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

I got home today and the weather was good, so I tried it out, but nothing.

It seems that, the LED flashes for about a tenth of a second when it is supposed to activate, but it goes out very quickly.

I can't figure this out.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm thinking of tossing this and going for the Code Alarm bypass. 

xtremeaudio 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2007 at 6:42 AM / IP Logged  

This requires that the vehicle be connected to special dealer equipment. There are two ten minutedelays involve while this device erases all existing key programming and sets up the vehicle computerto accept new key codes. Two new keys should be ready because the system requires a minimum of twokeys in the program. After the first two keys are programmed, additional keys can be entered individuallyby following the instructions for adding duplicate keys.

Add Duplicate Key (Requires two existing keys)1. Insert an existing key and turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and then back to OFF.2. Within five seconds remove the existing key, insert another existing key and turn it to the ON positionand then back to OFF.4. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new key has been successfully

i hop this work for you

init 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2007 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
The problem is, I never get that far.  It seems that the bypass isn't activating when it is supposed to.  Any ideas?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic