icon

truck boot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jameseaken 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas as to fabricating a boot from my inclosure in the bed of a stepside chevy truck to the inside of the cab?  Thanks in advance for your ideas.
custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 6:55 PM / IP Logged  

There are several ways. One is to go to a place that sells camper tops and buy the "accordian" pinch molding, sold by the foot.

I have fabricated boots quite a bit cheaper by using scrap vinyl. Fold it , form a rectangle (or whatever shape opening you cut), bead the seam with silicone and screw it around the perimeter, cover with custom trim panels. So far no reliability or leak issues but the install quality is the reason for that.

Perhaps others will post thier methods as well.

Good luck with the project and post pics when done.

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2007 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
Oh..thought of another I have done......inner tube, but you may be limited to size depending on what you find..a real large new one won't really be cheap so look for a used one if you choose to go that route.
Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
playr747 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2007 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
The accordian molding is great to use. Used it in the past.
jameseaken 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info.
99 2envy 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2007 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
The camper shell boots work realy well, I will post a picture of a previous install that was performed tommorow when I get back to the shop. Just make sure your cab cut and bed cut are perfect. Place a small beed of silicone to keep water leaks to a minimum. Its a great way to get tremendous bass without losing any room inside the cab. What year is your step side? Regular cab or extra cab?
jameseaken 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks again, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  The truck is actually not mine.  I'm doing a buddy's system.  Anyway, the truck is a 98 regular cab.  I'm just about finished with the inclosure.  It's a daul throated horn design.  It will be loaded with two MTX thunder T8510's.  Each seal chamber has just under a cube and a half.  Then thoats out two about 7 L feet of horn.  I built one for a guy around xmas time and had 12'...freaking unreal..  Anyway, the throat combines both combination chamers and dumps out the very center of the box right in the center.  Looks like about 12 inches X 16".  The lastone I did was so dang loud so I wonder if having this thing point through the cab at their backs may be to loud???ha ha  I hope so.. Taste my shoe...HAanyway, again thanks!  I appreciate the info.  I'll try and get some pics posted here before I glass the box today.  Camera is acting up  so well see. 

Never have had so much fun doing something that makes "some" people really happy.    I love building the loudest hardest hitting monster around. Cya

hieghts 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2007 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone know anyplace online to buy the according boot? I can't find anyplace locally to buy it
custom audio ny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2007 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

There must be quite a few but heres a link to one. Scroll to the bottom when you get to the site and there is a pic of it and pricing.  Good Luck.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Camper_shell_parts.htm

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
mr.devil 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2007 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
Use an accordian boot from any truck topper store!  It's usually around $5 a foot but well worth it.  I used it on my last install using four Diamond Audio 12s ported into the cab of a Dodge Dakota.  You might also want to seal the wood of the box nearest to the port with fiberglass resin to fight off any possible leaks or moisture.  Also, you should seal the split in the boot where the two ends meet with silicone.  Be generouse with the silicone, it wont hurt and it's better than pulling everything apart to find a leak. 
Devil's_Workshop

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic