icon

rebuild american pro sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kemper08 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2007 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
I have a sub that my buddy gave me, it is an american pro 1000w 12" but I think he smoked it.  He said it smoked and smelled like burnt wire.  It still moves, but sounds like death...  It is in like new shape still, is it possible to rebuild it?  Can I just rewire it together?  What exactly happened?
Sony CDX-GT20W Head Unit
RCA Front 5 1/4"
Rockford 6x9's
Pioneer 760w amp
trashed subs in sealed box :(
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Have you ever pulled apart an amp? I have several times and they are a nightmare if you dont normally work on them. I had to replace my Power Acustik 1600 watt 2 channel amp like 4 months ago. The amp was the blue saphire one that has the blue neon in it when it turns on. I had the amp for over 4 years. Anyways, something went wrong with it internally where when I would go over bumps or anytime the amp would bounce just alittle, it would cause the subs to make a "bump" sound. Sometimes it would shut up for awhile but other times they would bump then sound off like ground loop (whining from alternator, but deeper bass sound) and stay like that until I hit a bump in the road. At first I checked my power, ground, and remote wires running to the amp for connection. That was all fine. Took the RCA's and ran them to another amp, worked fine. Pulled the amp out and tried a friends for 1 week, and worked fine. So I knew it was the amp itself. I then took it apart to see if the ground connect in the amp was fine. No loose connections or burnt wiring. And it is basically impossible to check if any chips are fried without having the amp hooked up and test each chip itself. Now reguarding your amp, I do know that each amp has capacitors in it. Mine had 10. And I was told that when you overpower the amp, those capacitors can and will fry. Not all at once, but maybe one at a time. And as they slowly burn out, it  puts mroe stress on the ones that are remaining. Now it could be that you fried some of those, which would be the reason of why the amp still works yet doesnt really do much. Those capacitors are cylinder like about 1/4" in diameter, up to 1" in length and mounted vertical. Only problem is that there are other chips that look like that also.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
wow... I believe he is asking about rebuilding a sub, nice little rant on amp repair there though.
I am not sure those subs are rebuildable... I am lookin at prices right now, and I think your better off just buying a new one.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

Great to point that out to me since I read the "1000" part and right away thought amp, lol. Hmmm rebuilding a sub? I am not sure if you can actually rebuild a sub. I have already torn apart a speaker because the vioce coil broke so I rebuilt it and now it works. I doubt you can get new parts for it to rebuild it, but I know you can fix it (just like I did) but the lifespan isnt very good. I would simply buy a brand new sub.

I apoligize for my first reply. Just got alittle finger typing happy.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can have a sub rebuilt or you can do it yourself.  It's called "re-coning."  Contact the manufacturer first to see if it's a service they offer.
Support the12volt.com
audioman2007 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
But isnt that expensive?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
But isnt that expensive?

For the companies who offer the service, when compared to the cost of a new speaker, no.

Support the12volt.com
kemper08 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I have been gone for a few days, just got all the replies...  Thanks for all the info, and about the amp thing, pffff, forget about it...  No, I have been in an amp before, big pain, I know...  And to DYohn, thanks, I will get a # and call American Pro, but I am thinking that being that they aren't as big and popular as many other brands, they may not be able, also, it is a little bit older too, so its a great idea, but questionable...  My reasoning was laying with the fact that the back of the sub came out of the box with a vent screen and bolted together with allen-head bolts...  So that might be a sign that it could be fixed...  Thanks for the help guys!
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2007 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
anything smaller than a 2.5" vc dont bother u will be wasting ur money and time. american pro is a sound around product = pyramid co. save ur money and buy a good sub...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic