icon

easy way to add mid bass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

Any suggestions of a good pair of 6.5" components without totally breaking the bank? I'm personally looking for a pair between $200-$500 but I'm sure there are more people like me who will read this.

I know "go around and listen to what sounds good to you" but I'm pretty sure if you like it, then it's good enough for meeasy way to add mid bass? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  

jettagli03,

Maybe I'm easy to thrill, but I picked up a pair of CDT's on a closeout special that I got a tip on from DYohn, who used them in one of his family cars.  This model uses the silk tweeter.  I've been happy with them for two years now.  My thing about damping all the metal in the doors and using a baffle for the mid mount goes with anything you use, though.  If I didn't do all the preparation, I can't say how I would like these components.  Oh, and I used the swivel mount for the tweeter instead of flat mounting them into a preselected space on the door.  A contour in the door panel allowed for this so that the tweeter still remained nearly flush with the mid driver.  It doesn't look like a cool finished piece of work like a lot of glass projects do, but it has allowed for some very fine adjustment of the front soundstage.

easy way to add mid bass? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2007 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
That works. The only reason you didn't flush them in the door is cause you didn't know how you wanted them pointed? Very smart! Looks good.
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

Yeah, I actually heard You talking about it in a diff. post and figured it's about time I give some good info. easy way to add mid bass? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. You don't like have that word copywrited or anything, do you?!

J

nah I don't care...tell people about it all you want...it is a cheap and easy solution.
To the OP...polybagging is making these yourself.
Do what Steve said about making MDF baffles...then use 1-3layers of plastic sheet...you can use big ziplock bags...this is what I'm using for my doors
Lay the sheets over the speaker hole and make a pocket...stuff some polyfill in there...you can cut a small hole for the speaker wire and seal it up with some caulk but is not totally necessary.
Then mount up the speaker and trim the excess sheeting from around the speaker frame...get the idea???
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
jmelton86 wrote:

Yeah, I actually heard You talking about it in a diff. post and figured it's about time I give some good info. easy way to add mid bass? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. You don't like have that word copywrited or anything, do you?!

J

nah I don't care...tell people about it all you want...it is a cheap and easy solution.
To the OP...polybagging is making these yourself.
Do what Steve said about making MDF baffles...then use 1-3layers of plastic sheet...you can use big ziplock bags...this is what I'm using for my doors
Lay the sheets over the speaker hole and make a pocket...stuff some polyfill in there...you can cut a small hole for the speaker wire and seal it up with some caulk but is not totally necessary.
Then mount up the speaker and trim the excess sheeting from around the speaker frame...get the idea???
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Would it be better to use something that won't flex? I doubt the foam things crutchfield do too much. Is this a factor when doing this or does it not matter as long as it's 'airtight'?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2007 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

Why do you want to do that? 

Dude I've used those XTC foam baffles in cars and they sound absolutely horrible.  They made the midwoofer get all tinny and totally attenuate the output.  Seriously those things are horrid.  I'm sure a plasic bag of all things isn't going to sound any better.  Those bags, however many you use, are going to move in and out like a lung... I couldn't imagine how weird that will sound.

Car speakers are NOT meant to be run in little enclosures of like 1/4 of a liter okay?  They're infinite baffle speakers designed to be mounted in a door with the airspace of a door.  Seriously, do what stevdart said about the MDF baffle and then LEAVE IT ALONE.

stevdart wrote:
It doesn't look like a cool finished piece of work like a lot of glass projects do

Are you kidding?  That install looks awfully clean and slick.  It looks like it sounds *great* ... I really like that angled tweeter to, it looks really cool.

Those are CDT Classic series comps eh?  I ran those speakers in an active setup for awhile.  They sound awesome like that.  Can't say I was too fond of the CDT passive xover though.. 

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
loosingmymind 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2007 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

Nice Stevdart. Im my Monte Carlo my tweets are on the A pillars and on the outside of the front seat rails pointed up and rotatable. SUPER WIDE STAGE!

Back on topic... If you want more mid-bass and want it up front (timing and all), as suggested, raise your crossover up. And to add try reversing the polarity of your subs. Might set your lower end right on the dash where you want it. You'll have to play with it though.

Dave

David Fancher
USACi World Finals 2006
4th Place SQ PRO 601+
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic