icon

tweeters cut off

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jmoreno 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
wassup everyone. i installed a system this weekend when all was done turned it up and sounded great loud clear bass was bumpin. now today the guy calls me saying that when he turns it up the rear tweeters cutoff. imma check his car out tonight 1st thing imma work with is the gains. if thats not the problem the second thing i had in mind was just bypass the crossovers that cam with the tweeters and just wire them the tweeters to the amp. any suggestions? the amp is a 4 channel and the tweets are 4ohms . i have 2 pairs of tweets, and 4 speakers all are 4 ohm. so im running all at 2ohm per channel. the 4 tweets are wired to the front land r and speakers are rear l and r.thanx for any help.
jorge moreno
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 09, 2007 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
definitely use the crossovers.
... with a 4 channel amp you can run all 4 tweeter and woofer combos with the cross overs. Wire it properly and all will fall into place.
Listen to the car yourself, I bet there is some weird stuff going on.
Why did you choose to wire the new speakers this way?
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 3:36 AM / IP Logged  

Yes I believe you should have wired them, a set of comps to each channel.

-Coppell, he was prob. trying to load the amp at 2Ohms per channel by wiring a pair of tweeters or a pair of woofers. -Which isn't so.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 8:31 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like blown tweeters already, or an amp shutting down due to low impedance or high gain or maybe crappy wiring job with short or short to ground.  Also, "bypass crossover" = blown tweeter with certainty!  Why in the world would you try that?  What kind of crossover are you using for your mid-woofers?
Support the12volt.com
jmoreno 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
i was just working with what he came to me with. he has 6x 9's in the rear and 4 x 6's in the doors. the tweeters came with passive xovers. all the lines are run into a 3way xover in the back controlling the speakers and tweeters. how would the wiring be wrong? the tweeters are not blown b/c they work fine loud and clear for a bit then when i try to turn it up it gets louder and cuts off but they still work.. i turned the gains down a bit ans still does the same problem. could it be a setting i need to turn up on the main 3way xover? im fairly new installing so take it easy on me dudes. lol i appreciate the help tho...
jorge moreno
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like somthing that would happen when two speakers running off a deck are out of phase... Maybe somthing was overlooked that may be causing somthing similar. just my two cents.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
hellbass212 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2007 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
n/m that. i'd be willing to bet that there is an impedance issue (too low) with the xover-tweeter setup.
Clarion DXZ665mp,Lanzar 2000D,2 Powerbase Extreme 12",Pioneer 5.25" - TS-C503
JL Audio e4300,Fosgate Power 6x9,5 Farad Cap,2 Optima Yellow,205 Amp Alt
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
tweeters have a passive cross over built-in and you are also using another crossover component?
you could try unhooking the tweeters, then listen for a bit and see what happens. Then hook one side back up, listen. then hook the other up, listen. This will help you pinpoint the problem.
What crossover are you using? maybe someone will have some knowledge of it
jmoreno 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2007 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
hmmmmm hell bass u might be on to suttin i completley looked passed that maybe the crossovers for the tweets are set for 4ohm load and i have em at 2 ... i will deff. check that outthanx a bunch bro. and the cross over is a 3way ma-audio.thanx for the help fellas
jorge moreno

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic