icon

analog onstar, 01 suburban

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BigBurbMan 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

Did a search and didn't see this topic discussed.  '01 Suburban with analog-only OnStar, which is being disabled after 1/1/08 when Verizon shuts down their analog network per FCC rules.  OnStar says that the system can't be upgraded to digital for some unknown reason.  (OnStar is offering an upgrade for cars with "digital-capable" hardware but I don't have that).  Anybody aware of an aftermarket work around to adapt analog OnStar to digital?

Is there any way to integrate bluetooth from my Treo into the OnStar hardware so I can use it like handsfree?  Anything I can do with the GPS, plug it into a nav system?

Seems like a waste to have this equipment go dark.

BigBurbMan 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2007 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess I don't have edit privileges yet....I read a little more and see that Parrot makes a Bluetooth adapter.  Assuming I don't care if OnStar stays functional, can the Parrot be wired so that my Treo cell phone works like OnStar?  IE, an incoming call on the Treo automatically mutes the stereo (no Bose system), I press the white OnStar button on the dash to answer, and I use the OnStar mic/speakers set up to take the call?
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 20, 2007 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
I think the OnStar unit is going to be junk.. You probably could use the mic and splice it to the parrot, BUT you could run into some impedance mismatch issues. The parrot kit will mute the radio upon an incoming call, and come with all their own mic and such. They work quite nice THe GPS antenna and fcns from the onstar may be compatable with some other NAV system, but an adapter of some sort would be required resulting in signal degradation. But a GPS antenna is a GPS antenna...
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic