icon

nerts speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmezo 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

Also, I still have a another solobaric 10'' L7 that i can use, but I can't use with my custom box.  I'd have to use it with a regular box that is much bigger and wont give me any trunk space.  G35's have tiny trunks.

Do you think it would be worth it to use both subs and will my one be good enough.  Will there really be a huge difference between one and two l7's?  Ive never heard them, but from my understanding, L7's pound pretty hard.  That's why I'm hoping one will be enoughj. 

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  

pmezo wrote:
The way that the radio is set up in my car, I cant just pull it out and put another one in.

Yea new cars are really tough like this.  Last time I bought a car I turned down several newer models, literally, because the stereo would be too hard to get at.  I couldn't imagine pulling the stock HU out of an Infinity.

The OEM integration that is performed is going to crucial in negating that stock HU.  Are they using something like JL's cleansweep or what?

pmezo wrote:
Will there really be a huge difference between one and two l7's?  Ive never heard them, but from my understanding, L7's pound pretty hard. 

Strictly speaking, adding a second operating diaphram should net from 3 ~ 6db (I'm not sure how they are wired to the Memphis amp, this is a critical part of the question for a more concrete answer.)  This is a pretty sizable gain.

I suppose, comparitively, L7's are a pretty high end woofer, but physically speaking, it only has so much cone area.  The remainder of your planned system looks absolutley awesome, but like I said, for great, pounding car stereo bass... a single 10.. for me.. wouldn't cut it.  Not an L7, not a 10W7... there isn' t a 10 made that would make me happy mated to a top end like the one in your car.

Again however, my tastes run a bit adolescent in this department so I still think you might be quite happy and impressed with it.

pmezo wrote:

Also, I still have a another solobaric 10'' L7 that i can use, but I can't use with my custom box.  I'd have to use it with a regular box that is much bigger and wont give me any trunk space. 

This is the trade off... I've *never* had *any* trunk space...

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
The OEM integration that is performed is going to crucial in negating that stock HU.  Are they using something like JL's cleansweep or what?

Yeah, that is exactly what they're using.  Also, just like you said, I'm sure it is very difficult to replace the stock headunit in this car, so this is pretty much the best I can do at the moment.  I'm hoping it does the job because I haven't seen or heard many good car stereos where the radio isnt replaced.  The guy told me I can expect to get about 90% of what i'd get if I changed the radio from the cleansweep.  Is this accurate?

sedate wrote:
Strictly speaking, adding a second operating diaphram should net from 3 ~ 6db (I'm not sure how they are wired to the Memphis amp, this is a critical part of the question for a more concrete answer.)  This is a pretty sizable gain.

I suppose, comparitively, L7's are a pretty high end woofer, but physically speaking, it only has so much cone area.  The remainder of your planned system looks absolutley awesome, but like I said, for great, pounding car stereo bass... a single 10.. for me.. wouldn't cut it.  Not an L7, not a 10W7... there isn' t a 10 made that would make me happy mated to a top end like the one in your car.

Again however, my tastes run a bit adolescent in this department so I still think you might be quite happy and impressed with it.

Like I said before, I'm going to go with my custom box ( http://stores.ebay.com/ZEnclosures_G35-ENCLOSURES_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ5414997QQftidZ2QQtZkm ) and my one solobaric to start and keep most of my trunk with a great looking enclosure.  If it's not enough bass, i'll just have to put in my much larger enclosure and have the two solobarics running off that Memphis Amp.  I'll make an attempt with one and if it's not enough, I'll have to just mix and match.  From what I've heard about solobarics, two should be more than enough for what I want.

Now one more question I have is actually about the memphis amp.  Everyone has been saying that it is a powerful amp, but will it be too much for one solobaric if the gain is turned down?  It was originally meant for the two 4 ohm L7's, but now it's just going to be for one.  Will it be too much for one?  Would it be perfect for two? 

BTW - Thanks a lot for the help everyone!

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  

pmezo wrote:
The guy told me I can expect to get about 90% of what i'd get if I changed the radio from the cleansweep.  Is this accurate?

I would imagine so.  I've never actually heard an OEM job like this with a cleansweep installed, but if it is set properly, I would think you're end result will be excellent.  JL Audio makes some of the best products in this industry and I've heard great things about that little box.

pmezo wrote:
Now one more question I have is actually about the memphis amp.  Everyone has been saying that it is a powerful amp, but will it be too much for one solobaric if the gain is turned down?  It was originally meant for the two 4 ohm L7's, but now it's just going to be for one.  Will it be too much for one?  Would it be perfect for two? 

Actually it will run the same amount of power to one sub that it will to two.  Running a single sub off that amp will show the amp a 4-ohm load.. for a net of ~300watts.  Running two off that amp will show the amp a 2-ohm load, for a net of ~600watts.  Eitherway, the amp is a good match for the woofers.

pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 22, 2007 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Nice, sounds good.  I'll update everyone when I get them installed. 

Cant wait.

pmezo 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2007 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I put everything in and it sounded good, but not great.  There just wasnt enough bass with only one solobaric.  I just put the other solobaric and WOW what a difference.  I feel like my head is going to explode... i love it.  Sedate you were right... i needed that that sub in there.  Sounds great now!  now i just need to stop the trunk from rattling like it is now.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2007 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

pmezo wrote:
There just wasnt enough bass with only one solobaric.  I just put the other solobaric and WOW what a difference.  I feel like my head is going to explode... i love it.  Sedate you were right... i needed that that sub in there.  Sounds great now! 

Hehe.  Glad it worked out for ya.

Pairs of woofers just have this *certain spank*

pmezo wrote:
now i just need to stop the trunk from rattling like it is now.

Good luck man.  All kinds of stuff for this ...from expanding foam sealant to more exotic solutions like Dynamat and what-not.  Try bolting or strapping your back dash to your car frame too... this usually is a source of *huge* rattles.

3rd gen 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2007 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
I don't know if you have found this out or not, but if you can get the JDM dash from a G35 (Skyline 3.5GT over there)it separates the HVAC and audio separate. There was a G35 in CA&E a couple months ago that did this conversion and then put in an AVIC-Z1.
nerts speakers? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
CA&E wrote:
A Dash Of This... The heart of the G35's audio system is the head unit, a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 installed in the center console of the dashboard. "Installed" makes it all sound so easy, but ask any G35 owner with a yen for audio about that and he'll assure you it's anything but. Infiniti inconveniently combines the G35's factory head unit with the A/C unit, making for one big mess if you want to do anything other than roll with what they gave you. The solution lies in a replacement JDM dash, which thankfully keeps audio and climate control separate (it's not chocolate and peanut butter, people)
Article: http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/0612_cae_2003_infiniti_g35/index.html
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic