icon

removable head unit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jadppe 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2007 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
Aloha from Hawaii, I'm researching a removable head unit. Not so much for security but I'd like to be able to remove the head unit from my Rav-4 and put it in my VW bus. I'm the only one that drives the cars so it'd be nice to be able to swap the head unit. I tried searching the forum but no luck. Maybe I didn't use the right wording. I see that these things were popular in the 90's but I want a fairly nice system. I did see one article where the guy had a regular head unit and had some kind of removable bracket installed that allowed him to remove the head unit but the sitre had no instructions.
Any ideas out there?
Thanx, Joshua
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 1:42 AM / IP Logged  
Well technically any headunit is removable. The only problem that with your rav 4 the headunit needs to be iso mounted in which means screwed in. Why don't you just buy 2 radios for cheap. You can speand about $100 a piece(not sure on price adjustment for hawaii). I haven't seen the radios you are talking about in years.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
Yea I've never seen this at all.. uhh.. ever.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  

sedate wrote:
Yea I've never seen this at all.. uhh.. ever.

removable head unit - Last Post -- posted image.

now you have  removable head unit - Last Post -- posted image.

jadppe 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2007 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
Here's the article I saw...
CAR STEREO THEFT: SYMPTOM OF URBAN MALAISE
    * Print
    * Save
          o Digg
          o Facebook
          o Newsvine
          o Permalink
Article Tools Sponsored By
Published: June 4, 1983
To the Editor:
I lost my expensive car stereo (in-dash) from a Volkswagen years ago, but I refused to offer countless other units as sacrifice. Since removable car stereo units are of poor quality, I opted for an expensive Alpine in-dash unit mounted on a removable bracket (which has been on the market for years).
If the installer does his job right, the unit can be removed with the press of a button (wires disconnect automatically) and hidden in the trunk or taken from the car altogether.
he unit should always be removed, whether the car is left on the street or in a garage. If the speakers are hidden from view and the antenna is pushed down, thieves will assume the driver is not a music lover and simply go for the hubcaps.
This formula has protected $800 worth of stereo hardware for many years. N. FAIN New York, May 24, 1983

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic