icon

after market door locks on toyota corolla

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nobles 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

It seems to me like day by day car makers build cars harder to work on,..

my 21- year-old cousin got a toyota corolla and she was so happy to get a new car, but you know, she didn't know so much about cars, so she got the bottom of the  line toyota, with no pdl, pw  etc, almost no radio. So here I am showing off.

don't worry about key-less entry issue. I'll do the power dooor locks for you. Guess what? I poped the door pannel to find out that I couldn't find a way to interface with the door lock rod!

excuse my grammar, any help will be appreciate.

advancedautosec 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
i ran into that as well for a toyota dealership i do work for. it sucks. there is a post on here about how you can do them. it requires a little more work and can be tricky from what ive read, but it can be done, do a search on some of the other posts.
nobles 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

thank you

secureauto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 14, 2007 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Here's a picture of the finished product, if you e-mail me I can send you more pics.
I had to chop the pic to fit.
after market door locks on toyota corolla - Last Post -- posted image.
ASE Certified
j12v 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

Whats your email addy? I'll email you some pics I took when I worked on this Tacoma. The way I installed the PDL's in the Tacoma's are EXACTLY the way I do them in Corolla's. Or you can email me @ gotti.capone@gmail.com

securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Installing power door locks in a Toyota Tundra
with cable actuated lock mechanism.

Page 2

after market door locks on toyota corolla - Last Post -- posted image. after market door locks on toyota corolla - Last Post -- posted image.

With the door panel removed and the plastic vapor barrier peeled away from the door, our next step is to locate a spot for our cable clamp bracket and door lock actuator.  The bracket must be mounted in a spot that the cable can be clamped into it without overbending it or kinking it.  The bracket is then screwed into place and the cable is snapped into it.   The lock actuator must be mounted parallel to this bracket and cable assembly.  It must be able to push the cable straight back and forth.  On the Tundra, it was possible to mount everything so we get a straight shot from the actuator to the cable.   This mounting is about as good as it gets.  Notice that we used the supplied slotted bracket to mount the actuator over the large hole in the door.  The actuator must also be mounted in a spot where it will not interfere with the door panel or other items.

after market door locks on toyota corolla - Last Post -- posted image. after market door locks on toyota corolla - Last Post -- posted image.

Once the bracket and actuator are mounted, we need to remove the housing from the cable.  Most cable housings consist of a single layer of plastic.  This particular housing consists of 3 layers.  A black plastic outer cover. Steel wire strands and an inner plastic tube.  The steel strands are spiral wrapped over the inner plastic tube.

With the cable clamped to the bracket, the outer layer is first cut off.  Then the cable strands are carefully cut away, a few strands at a time.  Lastly, the inner plastic tube is cut away with a knife.  Care must be taken not to nick or cut the inner steel cable.  The cable casing  should now be stripped away between the indentations on the bracket.  

If it becomes necessary to remove the cables from the clamps, the cable must be marked carefully so that it can be reinstalled in the exact same position.

The rod from the actuator is carefully bent so that it lies parallel to the cable about an eighth inch away from it.  The rod can be placed either above or below the cable.  The clamp is then placed over the rod and saddled onto the cable.  There is a small metal insert that fits between the clamp and the cable.  This insert must be used to prevent damage to the cable.  The lock actuators are adjusted and centered per the instructions and the allen screws on the clamps are tightened.  In the photo below, we see a shot of our mounted assembly, all ready for wiring.

Joe O'Byrne
Owner / Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic