icon

seperate n1 screen from deck?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badtexasz28 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have the N1 taken apart to figure out why my screen quit working (the ribbon cable) and a thought occured to me... separate the screen from the cd/dvd deck and put the screen in a custom bezel in the dash and the deck in my center console. Seems like all I would need to do is lengthen the 20-25 wires going to the LCD screen and remove the drive motors for the screen since it will be stationary now.
What do yall think?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
     I think you need to put it back together, and send it in for the recall    they will fix it for free    get the free cable and then if you are still feeling adventurous try and relocate it.
badtexasz28 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2007 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Either way I would have to cut the ribbon cable to locate the screen where I want it so why send in my unit and play the waiting game?
badtexasz28 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
No one has anything huh.... well like I always say, the only way youre going to learn is by diving in feet first!
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
this has been done many times with faceplates on head units.  the only thing i would worry about is inducing noise on the low voltage video signals that may be running through the short ribbon cable.  if you extend the ribbon cable you could end up with a terrible picture.  its not something that i would want to try, with an expensive unit like that, but since its not my money, i say go for it! 
badtexasz28 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2007 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

The beauty is that if it doesnt work, I just get a replacement ribon cable anf put it all back together.

BTW I guess I should have also mentioned that I do this type of stuff on aircraft (wiring and such) and the low voltage signals wont be an issue in a 3ft section of wiring... I am going to use EMI certified low loss db37 cabling and making a feed through for the db37 connector on the exsisting chassis for the deck.

badtexasz28 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2007 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
Well, it is easier to solder the ribbon cable than I figured it would be. I will let yall know if the video gets distorted or anything.... Oh and finding a DB50 type cable and the appropriate connectors was a bit of a challenge, but they are on their way now.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic