icon

new touchscreen need guidance

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spawn12336 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

I wasn't going to do this but when I found a deal on it, I couldn't pass it up. These things are usually 300+, I got mine for 175 shipped and taxes in! And it was new!

[IMG]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/spawn12336/Fibreglass/NewMonitor003.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/spawn12336/Fibreglass/NewMonitor004.jpg[/IMG]

As of this weekend, I will finally have a dual monitor setup in the centre console. The new monitor is a Lilliput 701 VGA touchscreen monitor. I have already redesigned my skin to run on 2 monitors. The first thing I noticed is the resolution. I can't get over the difference, night and day just doesn't cover it. I also have to get used to actually using the touch feature instead of the phone. So far it's pretty freaking cool. The standard double din monitor on the bottom is a Pioneer AVH-P6800DVD.

The advice I need is, I have to block off the vents in the centre console as the screen is sitting where they used to be. What is the best way to do this? I just don't want to stuff the vents with something and worry that it might melt/burn (worst case) when the heat is on in the winter.

"the universe has a way of balancing itself"
spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

new touchscreen need guidance - Last Post -- posted image.

when in hades will i be able to edit my posts, this happens too often

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

spawn12336 wrote:
when in hades will i be able to edit my posts, this happens too often
When you become a Standard member (50 posts).

new touchscreen need guidance - Last Post -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
well then, time to whore it up! kidding. Thanks for that info though.
spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

Talked to one of my team members for some advice on small glassing, and threw on an old punisher t-shirt.

A little stretching, apply resin, wait 1 hour, throw on 2 layers of mat, wait another hour, watch Miami ink while you are waiting, and Voila! I'll trim it tomorrow after it fully cures and start with the bondohair, and bondo.

spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

Trimmed everything off and gave the edges a quick sand. I had to go drop off something so I figured a fantastic time for a fit and function test. Here's the shots.

The touchscreen placement is perfectly in reach, and it doesn't sit above the steering wheel.

spawn12336 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2007 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, after some reinforced evercoat Plus 1 filler, sanding with 60, some more reinforced filler, more sanding with 60, filling the top with resin to prevent it pulling way from the plastic (apparently I didn't soak the t-shirt enough), a layer of normal evercoat Plus 1 filler, sanding with 60, then sanding with 100, then the "milkshake", sanding with 100, then finishing off with 400, I was ready to paint the piece tonight....

Until I got to the paint box and realized that I didn't have any! new touchscreen need guidance - Last Post -- posted image.

So 1 more day with no paint, but it's basically finished. Perfectly functional, placement is working well. install to be completed tomorrow night after I get the boxes and stuff back from the body shop.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic