Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2007 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry KEVIN
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  

I'm now in the process of updated the system (already).

I got to test drive an '07 G35 coupe and that was the first time I ever started an OEM pushbutton vehicle.

To make my system more OEM like I am adding a brake wire input and am going to set the system up to automatically start the car when you press and hold the brake and press and release the start button.  It will use a tach monitoring system for now to start the car.  If that doesn't go well I might just make it voltage monitoring.

Kevin Pierson
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 5:18 AM / IP Logged  

Kevin, have you looked into the way the mechanical lock is overridden on the late-model Nissans? I can't imagine that it's much more than a solenoid which is actuated by the RF starting system.

Incidentally, where'd you go to school? I'm looking at master's programs in EE/ECE and would love to go somewhere that does a lot of automotive tech.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
KPierson 
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
I got my degree from Bowling Green State University in North Western Ohio. It wasn't an automotive based program at all. From BGSU I ended up in the oil industry then bounced to manufacturing.
My car knowledge has came from being an installer and having a great deal of interest in cars.
Kevin Pierson
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  

Cool beans...I'm basically self-taught as far as electronics goes...have a bachelor's in Business/Economics, so it's a leap to convince some schools that I should be in their graduate EE/ECE programs. Anyway...

What have you looked into as far as an RF system on your project here? Would something like a building access system work? I checked into those but it seems like overkill to have a system designed with 8 receivers and hundreds of potential transmitters just to enable car starting.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
KPierson 
Posted: January 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

I'm assuming you're talking RFID (building access).

I was planning on going with RFID but I can't find a system with enough range at a decent price to make it feasable.

There are many, many ways to acomplish this, including bluetooth, zigbee, RFID, RF, and the list goes on.

The last system I was looking at was RF based.  It has great range, but is battery based.  That seems to be the biggest drawback so far - after 5 years or so you won't be able to start your car.  Each of the above systems have pros and cons, and I just haven't committed to anything yet.

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2008 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
hey Kpierson, have you only built one so far or many? do you plan to build any more for purchase? kinda interested in one to mess with.
oldskoolsa 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2008 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
HI Kevin thanks for the insight
PLease let me know have you finished your project are you willing to share the project with me i live in South Africa and am trying to find a solution for the 1970 Camaro Pro Street
thanks H'
KPierson wrote:

I'm assuming you're talking RFID (building access).

I was planning on going with RFID but I can't find a system with enough range at a decent price to make it feasable.

There are many, many ways to acomplish this, including bluetooth, zigbee, RFID, RF, and the list goes on.

The last system I was looking at was RF based. It has great range, but is battery based. That seems to be the biggest drawback so far - after 5 years or so you won't be able to start your car. Each of the above systems have pros and cons, and I just haven't committed to anything yet.

Live a journey why not have a ride to match
KPierson 
Posted: February 03, 2008 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

I was able to finish another update this weekend.  The car now starts itself upon pushing and releasing the button.  There is a "tach learn" routine like most remote start units have and then the module monitors the engine RPM.  After it has reached x% of the programmed RPM value it kills the starter output. 

Here is a video of it in action:

http://www.kptechnologies.com/movies/KPtechPBStart.mp4

Note that the key is in the ignition and switched to the "ON" position already
It will take a few more days to get it working perfectly. It is having some cold start issues, but I should be able to smooth that out pretty easily, it will just take some time.

Kevin Pierson
giodi 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2008 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah... you need to resell this kit. I've been looking for a solution to do this in my 01 QX4. There's pretty much nothing out there that I've found.
Very impressive work.
Page of 6

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic