icon

Is Working For Free Ok?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
well. here is an example of sorts. in the early days politiciand an judges werent paid. as a result they often did whatever they wanted. this led to vast corruption throught govt in north america so they became paid employees of the govt therefore holding them %100 resonsible for what they do. sure there is still corruption in govt but nowhere near the level that it was. accountability is not learned especially for some one who has no legal endearment to their work.however quality workmanship is learned and there should be no reason a shop cannot pay while training except for cheapness
work for free? not me!!!
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
madfleet 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I guess it is good that we are not politicians or judges. Thanks for the history lesson. Was that free, or should I send a check? Since, I assume you have no direct experience with these examples, other than reading a book or two, or what a peer told you about his shop, I am having difficulty understanding your argument. I am speaking from experience. Direct experience. Accountability is learned and taught, Not paid for. If the person is crap, he's/she's crap, I don't care what you pay him/her, or what task you put in front of them. Why would you bring someone on board, if it is just to get paid. We hire people that enjoy the biz and work. Chances are, if someone wants to learn, they will do whatever it takes to do well. We do numbers many shop's dream of, and we teach for work. No one asked you to work for free. No one expects you to. Make your money. But don't tell someone else it is wrong, because you don't agree,  if they have a true desire to better themselves.
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I hire people for one reason to make money for my company that is what buisness is all about. but i guess guys that hire on the "work for lessons" basis know that
work for free?
not me!
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
moto17 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
i'm trying to get in the industry,and i'm having issues getting started do to experience.i agree i would work to learn,learning is all i'm interested in! plus  that is a chance to proove yourself and maybe get a paying job.for me apprenticeship may be all i have.if you can afford to do something like that  you should (KNOWELEDGE=$$$$)
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
keep applying do you live in an area with big box stores they are a great place to get a start nowadays and will pay you to learn, and usually pay for your mecp as well. if that route doent work mobile dynamics has funding sources avaliable call them! you could qualify for govt funding. they are the best school of its kind in the world hands down! thhey will help you get a job when you graduate!
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
moto17 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
i live in michigan,and i have been to best buy and more in a 60mile radius.most are not hiring ,some need more experience.i already am mecp certified.mobile dynamics has already been a thought, but not a real possibility.
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2007 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
try the car dealerships many of them are now hiring in house installers, if you are mecp and can install alarms and starters one may hire you try it out. i live in alberta where the economy is probally thestrongest in the world right now and finding work is easy.move to alberta haha
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
moto17 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  
thats a good idea that i had not thought of.michigans economy is not the greatest,probably one of the worst,so relocation seems better every day.thanks for all your advice
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=moto17] thats a good idea that i had not thought of.michigans economy is not the greatest,probably one of the worst,so relocation seems better every day.thanks for all your advice[/QUOTE
one of the best jobs ive ever had was for a large ford dealer. almost wish i was still there, almost.
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
swerks 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2007 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
moto17 wrote:
i live in michigan,and i have been to best buy and more in a 60mile radius.most are not hiring ,some need more experience.i already am mecp certified.mobile dynamics has already been a thought, but not a real possibility.
it can be a possibility for anyone, especially americans a the us govt has funding for mobile dynamics. i am a canadian and couldnt get funding because our govt have any. the toronto campus is not far from michigan. i would call them what have you got to lose its a toll free call
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic