icon

fried all electrical in my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigdadssrt 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
Hi Im new here so please have patiance with me and any help I receive from anyone on here will be freatly apreciatted. Heres the deal. I have a 2006 chrysler 300c srt8 with a pretty large system in it, I will list all the items here. I have a pioneer z1 head unit, a infinity 1211a mono amp and 2 infinity 4 channel amps that I believe are around 1000 amp each, the subs are 2-12" jl w3's, and 2-8" kickers, there are 10 lcds in the car with the smallest being 5 1.2" and the largest being 22" in the trunk, I have 50 farad capacitor, a xbox, a 2000 watt invertor and a 2000 watt power supply. I have dual batteries that are kinetik 2000's wired in parelell with a isolator. The problem is a week and a half ago(20 minutes after having the kinetics installed) I was driving the car and it went dead and there was smoke coming out of the dash and the turn signal bulbs exploded and the car had no power anywhere. I had it towed to install shop and they said all there stuff looked fine so I had it towed to the dealership where it has been for the past 11 days. The dealership has told me that every computer, module and sensor has been fried. The have replace the engine control computer the tranny controll computer, all the abs modules, all the passenger restraint modules and they have more parts on order. The dealer said they cant find a reason that this happened and they have found no fault in the audio video install at all. So far everything is warrenty work. My question is- does anyone have any ideas why this happened and how can I prevent it from happening again. I am at a complete lose for ideas and I dont have any idea when I will even get my car back but would really hate to have this happen again. Thanks in advance for any help.
bigdadssrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 3:33 AM / IP Logged  
Also does anyone know of a HO alternator for the 300c or a dual alternator setup for it?
cneubert42 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

well for starters your talking about a major power consumption with a large amount of supply power, one would think if there was some kind of surge it would blow fuses. kind of leaves me clueless, but one thing that may be possible is if you damaged the rectifier bridge on the alternator and sent A/C voltage through the system it would do some damage to things like that (since computers and airbag systems are touchy). just a thought you might look into some type of protection from the alternator.

As far as an HO alternator try HOalternator.com

bigdadssrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
I had the alternator tested( there is no rectifier bridge in these alternators by the way, they are completly controlled by the ecu) by the dealer and they said it tested good. The alternator was my first suspect also, but it must be a deeper issue.
cneubert42 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I am confused about how that would work with the alternator not having a rectifier bridge. I may just not understand this specific system but I do understand that an alternator does create A/C and MUST be converted to D/C before entering the vehicles electrical system I have yet to see a vehicle with a heavy guage power wire going from the alternator through a computer to the battery. If that really is the case then thats probably the problem right there. All the alternators I have seen the power cable either goes direct to the battery or bolts to the battery with another cable via the starter solenoid. but none the less either there is a problem with the vehicle (factory equipment) and maybe the dealership knows and just won't say yah chrysler makes some mistakes sometimes, or maybe they just dont know.
bigdadssrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I specificly talked to the service manager about the rectofier bride and the regulator and they said that that was in the ecu. True or not thats what I was told. But if the rectifier bridge is opened wouldnt that just stop curent flow all together?
bigdadssrt 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2007 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
I did get some info from ohio generator about this problem today. They said they have experienced this problem several times in dodge ram trucks and it is caused by the engine to chassis ground not being sufficiant. They also said they are close to a ho alternator for the 300c and to call again in 6 weeks.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 20, 2007 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

You have one heck of a nice dealership to replace all the electronics for free.

One major power dip from the 7,000,000,000 watts of added electronics could be enough to fry everything you listed, and the alternator.  It would be hard to find anyone in the industry that would disagree.

Most likely, on the alternator, the ECU tells it when to charge and when not to charge.  The rectifier bridge would most likely be IN the alternator.  The ECU is basically controlling the duty cycle of the alternator.

Good luck!

Kevin Pierson
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  
I'm just shocked that the dealership didn't blame the audio system right off the bat.
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2007 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
haven't the installers at the shop you had the work done at ever heard of the "big 3"?!!!
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic