icon

making fiberglass sheets

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
citrus3000psi 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

I need to make some large fiberglass panels.

Roughly three sizes 60" x 35" and two 30" x 100"

So I guess I'm looking for any tips on how to make these.  

They are not being used for any strutrual support. But they need to be rigid and not flex a lot.  I can add many mounting points which will help with flex.  If there was a formula that  showed how thick to how much it would flex based upon where the panels were secured at.

Some questions:

How thick should these panels be since they're completly flat?
Whats the best technique to do it? Do I Just use a roller on a flat surface and apply resin and fiberglass mat? I need both sides of the fiberglass to be smooth. 
I plan on using Aluminized Fiberglass mat for one side.  I've heard this stuff is thick so it might help make the panel stronger.

Any tips or ideas would greatly be apperciated. 

I know carbon fiber would be a lot better choice for panels.  But Carbon Fiber is expensive and these parts I'm making could be damaged so they need to be cheap so they can easily be replaced if need be.

Thanks

-Dan

ricoshay 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

fiberglass won't be very strong in extremely larg,flat surfaces like you want. It would also be very expensive.You'd be better off using mdf and sanding,prepping, and painting it.

citrus3000psi 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Weight is an issue, so I need to use a composite.  I could however add strips of something to one of the sides of the panel to increase the rigidity.

I guess i need to know whats the best process to make fiberglass panels so they come out strong as I can make them and smooth on one side, I want to use a clear expoy resin so one side looks nice.  The other side can/will be sanded and painted.

The panel itself can also have multiple mounting locations to also help rigidity.

e36rok 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  
depending on how much room you have on the backside on the panels, you can use rope or wooden dowels. Do one layer of fiberglass and flip it over, lay the rope or dowels parallel and soak with resin then fiberglass a couple of layers on top of that. Flip it over to the good side and do 1 or 2 more layers and it will be solid.
e36rok 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ Just read the part where you needed BOTH sides flat... fack.
on a 30" x 100" you will need 8+ layers to get anywhere, good luck. I would get 1/4" wood and if you're really keen on getting the same fiberglass look, do one layer on top to make it like the rest.
Post pics of how this turns out.
citrus3000psi 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

Good idea.  The top side doesn't have to be completely flat, it can have ridges.  I just perfer it to look like a professional part even if your not going to see the backside. 

Im not worried about spending money.  I already plan to invest a few hundred on fiberglass.  I just wish I have the grand to put down for Carbon Fiber.  Hopefully it will work.  I think the dow rod idea is a good idea.   Like i said before there will be no weight on these pieces, a little wind tuburlance maybe but barely any since they will be parallel to the wind.

e36rok 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Then use the wodden dowels and 2-3 layers with that should be MORE than enough.
Btw what is this for? And don't forget to post pics...
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  

If weight is an issue and you need to make the structure rigid, then you'll need to make the panels in several layers so they laminate very thinly to make the panel stiff.

How thick can you go on the panels? I have a few ideas, but it can make the panels as thin as 1/2" or as thick as 2" to get FG stiff. Also what is the weight limit. As stated earlier, FG makes for very poor flat panels (save for special productions) but there are ways to make it work for projects.

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Try to find a product known as dairyboard. It is a FG sheet that is white, and textured on one side, smooth on the other. Bout 1/16" thick. Will give you a good, flat base to start with, at some ribs to the back of it to help with flex, mounting points, etc. Usually used to line the insides of (you guessed it) dairy facilities.
The other option would be some 1/8" baltic birch ply with a couple layers of resin on it. Be nice, light, and strong. Believe it comes in 60"x60" sheets from what I remember. Try a high end wood place to find it.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
horenrj 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2007 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

How about using Coremat? Its like a very thick sheet of fiberglass. You can get it in different thicknesses.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic