the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

transmission destroyed by python 871xp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mabuffalo 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ford automatic overdrive transmission destroyed by “professional” Python 871XP installation at Circuit City

I just had a Python 871XP (aka Viper 771XV, Clifford Matrix RSX3.2) installed in my 2000 Ford e150 conversion van at Circuit City (Amherst, NY). I drove into the service bay with a perfectly working transmission and within a mile down the road it began malfunctioning after the installation. By a couple of miles, the security system that was "professionally" installed had destroyed my automatic overdrive transmission (around $3,000 in repairs). I considered installing a security/remote-start system myself, I but decided to pay the extra money and let the “professionals” do the work. What a mistake! These guys are real amateurs. Taped connections, hunt-and-probe wire identification methods, didn’t even install the hood pin switch which is both a safety feature (for the remote start function) and a theft deterrent (sounds the alarm before a thief can disconnect the battery or cut the siren input).

I had done some ‘homework’ on car security system installation (thanks to all of you here and elsewhere who post information freely online!) and could see that he was not following ‘best practice’ procedures. Without a schematic for the vehicle wiring, he probed the steering column wiring harness with a continuity tester (this low impedance device can actually damage sensitive automobile electronics itself) and selected wires from the steering column for connecting with the security system (including the +12 VDC security module power supply). All connections were poorly insulated with electrical tape which he also apparently used as the only attachment to retain the shock sensor under the dash. I was present during much of the installation and did ask questions about how he was doing it, but he’s a “professional” alarm installer and I’m just a university professor (albeit with considerable experience in designing and building electronic and computer-control circuits for my biomedical research laboratory), so I let him do “his” work without being ‘pestered’ by me with suggestions on how it should be done properly. (He was clearly not about to change his installation method because of my questions or suggestions.)

Meanwhile the installation manager at Circuit City has no idea how the installation of his security/remote-start system could damage my transmission. It’s all electronically controlled, you idiot!!! (Among other things, a switch controlling the electronic overdrive is located in the gear shift lever on the steering column.) The improper installation apparently caused a malfunction in the power-train control module (PCM) that in turn caused the automatic transmission to shift inappropriately in-and-out and between various gears (including overdrive), thereby grinding the teeth off of the gears and nearly locking up the transmission permanently (it did thump and bump going down the road). And for those of you who know something about automatic transmissions, yes, the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) was very clean with no sign of burning that would have been indicative of an existing mechanical problem with the transmission – this was an abrupt catastrophic failure caused by an electronic malfunction shortly after the Python 871XP was “professionally” installed.

So hurrah for you DIYers out there. And if you do ‘drop and shop’ (viz., drop off your vehicle for installation and shop or otherwise leave the vehicle unattended for the installer to do “their” work), make sure your installer really knows their business. Trusting a well-know national brand, such as Circuit City, is not enough!

ADDENDUM

Before I’m ‘flamed’ by the professional installers on this site, let me apologize to those of you who do know your trade. I have a lot of respect for what other people know and that’s why I deferred to the professionals for this installation. As an average consumer, I have no way of discerning the good from the bad installers, so I opted for a nationally known retailer (i.e., Circuit City) to professionally install my security/remote-start system instead of a local, independently owned shop. Again, I would have preferred a ‘small shop’ with a great installer, but I have no way of knowing who to trust. I wish some of you guys were in ‘my neighborhood’ to fix this problem. After my $3000+ in transmission repairs I still don’t have an alarm system that is working!

MABuffalo
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

I'm very sorry to hear of your horrible encounter with this chop shop.

Did they compensate you for the tranny damage?

The search function is your friend.
mabuffalo 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Please disregard this post. I will re-post a 'clean' copy. Yes, I read the posting instructions. Yes, they were clear. And yes, I ingored them. (Just like the installer at Circuit City trashed my transmission.) Sorry transmission destroyed by python 871xp - Last Post -- posted image.
MABuffalo
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

mabuffalo wrote:
I just had a Python 871XP (aka Viper 771XV, Clifford Matrix RSX3.2) installed in my 2000 Ford e150 conversion van at Circuit City. I drove into the service bay with a perfectly working transmission and within a mile down the road it began malfunctioning after the installation. By a couple of miles, the security system that was "professionally" installed had destroyed my automatic overdrive transmission (around $3,000 in repairs). I considered installing a security/remote-start system myself, I but decided to pay the extra money and let the “professionals” do the work. What a mistake! These guys are real amateurs. Taped connections, hunt-and-probe wire identification methods, didn’t even install the hood pin switch which is both a safety feature (for the remote start function) and a theft deterrent (sounds the alarm before a thief can disconnect the battery or cut the siren input).  I had done some ‘homework’ on car security system installation (thanks to all of you here and elsewhere who post information freely online!) and could see that he was not following ‘best practice’ procedures. Without a schematic for the vehicle wiring, he probed the steering column wiring harness with a continuity tester (this low impedance device can actually damage sensitive automobile electronics itself) and selected wires from the steering column for connecting with the security system (including the +12 VDC security module power supply). All connections were poorly insulated with electrical tape which he also apparently used as the only attachment to retain the shock sensor under the dash. I was present during much of the installation and did ask questions about how he was doing it, but he’s a “professional” alarm installer and I’m just a university professor (albeit with considerable experience in designing and building electronic and computer-control circuits for my biomedical research laboratory), so I let him do “his” work without being ‘pestered’ by me with suggestions on how it should be done properly. (He was clearly not about to change his installation method because of my questions or suggestions.  Meanwhile the installation manager at Circuit City has no idea how the installation of his security/remote-start system could damage my transmission. It’s all electronically controlled, you idiot!!! (Among other things, a switch controlling the electronic overdrive is located in the gear shift lever on the steering column.) The improper installation apparently caused a malfunction in the power-train control module (PCM) that in turn caused the automatic transmission to shift inappropriately in-and-out and between various gears (including overdrive), thereby grinding the teeth off of the gears and nearly locking up the transmission permanently (it did thump and bump going down the road). And for those of you who know something about automatic transmissions, yes, the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) was very clean with no sign of burning that would have been indicative of an existing mechanical problem with the transmission – this was an abrupt catastrophic failure caused by an electronic malfunction shortly after the Python 871XP was “professionally” installed.  So hurrah for you DIYers out there. And if you do ‘drop and shop’ (viz., drop off your vehicle for installation and shop or otherwise leave the vehicle unattended for the installer to do “their” work), make sure your installer really knows their business. Trusting a well-know national brand, such as Circuit City, is not enough!

ADDENDUM: Before I’m ‘flamed’ by the professional installers on this site, let me apologize to those of you who do know your trade. I have a lot of respect for what other people know and that’s why I deferred to the professionals for this installation. As an average consumer, I have no way of discerning the good from the bad installers, so I opted for a nationally known retailer (i.e., Circuit City) to professionally install my security/remote-start system instead of a local, independently owned shop. Again, I would have preferred a ‘small shop’ with a great installer, but I have no way of knowing who to trust. I wish some of you guys were in ‘my neighborhood’ to fix this problem. After my $3000+ in transmission repairs I still don’t have an alarm system that is working!

Kevin Pierson
peterubers 
Silver - Posts: 706
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  

Sadly, you're right, the average consumer does not really have any good insight as to where to go to get an alarm/remote start installed professionally -- and i mean "professionally."  Best buy and circuit city are sometimes two-bit chop shops .. i'm sure there are some out there that are top notch only b/c of the people they have employed there know their trade, not b/c it's Best Buy or Circuit City.

After doing alarm/remote start work myself for almost a year now, i know the difference b/w a slop job and a professional job.  I see all the places you can cut corners and SAVE TIME and $$$.  It's actually, REALLY easy to cut corners.

The search function is your friend.
mabuffalo 
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the supportive comments. I started a new thread before I saw that someone cleaned up my bad posting. I really need the spelling checker in MS-Word, but I'll try to remember to pass my postings through Notepad (as suggested by the administrator) in the future. Obviously we all make mistakes, sometimes caused by not following simple, clearly written instructions.  transmission destroyed by python 871xp - Last Post -- posted image.

I'm very sorry for the duplicate posting ; I know too well how annoying it is to sort through these. Can the administrator 'clean' this up? transmission destroyed by python 871xp - Last Post -- posted image.

The case is pending review at Circuit City, but they're definitely adopting a denial of responsibility position. I'll post an update when something is decided. Meanwhile, I feel sorry for the installer. He's a young kid that knows little more than how to neatly route the wires (I even tipped him, but he should stick with installing sound systems.). His "boss" had to do the simple programming. I personally will try to protect him from 'taking the heat.' This is a management problem; they don't hire properly trained installers! And I agree that this is likely to be different store-by-store. I just had bad luck and if Circuit City agrees by paying for the repairs, I'll probably drop the issue although this has stranded my handicapped wife at home without her wheelchair-lift equiped van.

FYI: I've viewed this site quite a bit in the past, although I haven't posted or even officially registered before last night. I appreciate the information you guys (and gals) provide and have found it very useful. I don't have anything to contribute myself, except perhaps now a warning to those installing car security systems and remote starters. (My day job relates to the kind of work you find here: www.AddictionScience.net.)

OK, now I've added to the confusion by replying to what I hopped would be a dead thread. Time for another cup of coffee.

MABuffalo
KPierson 
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

Circuit City does NOT have the ablity to deny the claim.  As a paying customer you have the right to contact their insurance company and file a claim for any reason.  They can NOT stop you from doing this.  The insurance company will then do the investigation.  However, if you already have had the vehicle repaired, it will be very hard to get them to pay, as they won't be able to find out what exactly happened. 

Kevin Pierson
KPierson 
Posted: June 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
mabuffalo wrote:

Meanwhile, I feel sorry for the installer. He's a young kid that knows little more than how to neatly route the wires (I even tipped him, but he should stick with installing sound systems.). His "boss" had to do the simple programming. I personally will try to protect him from 'taking the heat.' This is a management problem; they don't hire properly trained installers!

It is almost impossible to hire trained installers.  The average installer only installs for a few years, then they move on to 'bigger and better' things.  I worked in an install bay for 5+ years and I only remember seeing one or two applicants with experiance.  The problem is with training the people they have hired.  I honestly feel that if a guy can't program an alarm he shouldn't be installing one.  They are pretty simple to program!

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic