the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

further reviews of pdx4.150 amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
I spent many hours yesterday, with a buddy of mine, listening, critiqueing, analyzing the PDX4.150, and a few additional points regarding the piece came up:
Black. The background DOESN'T exist. Quiet passages between tracks were just that - QUIET. The amplifier NEVER interfered with the music or even the presentation, in any way, shape, or form. The amp was JUST there to provide level matching betwwen the DVD-A player, and the speakers. Again, I had NEVER heard my speakers sound so good! Last night, after dinner, we pulled out the Jenifer Warnes, and all but fell asleep winding down to one of the finest presentations of "The Hunter" we had ever really heard.
Precision. The channel to channel gains are perfect. There was no level mismatch between them, the image was rock-solid, placed SQUARELY in the middle of the speakers, just where it is supposed to be. The crossovers didn't interfere with the presentation at all, I have to say that they are quite a BIT better than I recall most any other integrated crossover being. 12dB seemed a bit shallow, but after finding the proper point, all was well with the world. Bob, do they happen to be digital crossovers, or is the front end all analog on these beasts?
Female vocals are as liquid as any amplifier presentation I have heard in a LOOOONG time. The last time I heard anything like this regarding female vocals was at the CES in the AudioStatic room, where four 3 foot by 8 foot flat electrostatic panels (two high-passed at 120Hz, and two low-passed and driven as "subwoofers") were driven by Jeff Rowland amplifiers, passive pre-amplification stage, an Accuphase CD transport and their top-of-the-line octal D/A converter - 8 (count 'em - EIGHT) 24-bit, paralleled discrete D/A converter BOARDS driving the input of one output pre-gain stage. (The parallelling of D/A stages minimizes ANY quantization errors, in this case by a factor of 2^8, or 512 TIMES!!!) Price tag? Probably close to 300K, kids! FAR more than I would ever spend, I was just comparing the mid-range liquidity... I am NOT saying that I had a 300K system in my living room, I was just saying that it was EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD!!!
Again, I do highly recommend these amps to anyone looking for MUCH more power than numbers indicate for not much money - literally! With plenty of power on tap, and TRUE audiophile performance to boot, nothing to complain about and a decent pre-amp section, I wouln't feel bad recommending these to anybody!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Ha, right, you expect me to beleive that load of BS????

We all know that you fell asleep because it was nappy time.....getting old does that to you.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Ha, right, you expect me to beleive that load of BS????

We all know that you fell asleep because it was nappy time.....getting old does that to you.

What the...???
I'm not REALLY sure how to take that... further reviews of pdx4.150 amp - Last Post -- posted image. WHO'S old? I'm not old. ('til January, anyway...!)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
But David, truthfully, do you really like these amps?
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Nah...
further reviews of pdx4.150 amp - Last Post -- posted image.
Seriously, though... How could you tell? Maybe I should practice a little bit, in making my point absolutely clear... Perhaps I didn't really convey accurately all my feelings toward the piece...
wormy 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2007 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

now you have me interested in Alpine again...lol.

...typically, I just run whatever I randomly pick up off the floor.
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab
MECA member
Team CSS
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

I've never heard them or anything but they are really *pretty* amplifiers.  All small and glassy black.  *Gorgeous* amplifiers.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic