icon

2006 ford e350 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
klutch240 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hi. I installed a remote start in an E series van with a deisel, but can't seem to locate the tach wire.  Direct wire says PCM top plug pin one.  But im not sure I've located the PCM.  I have found two modules the only one with a top plug has a WHITE/ pink wire but runs about 50 volts regardless of engine speed.  The other module is horizontal and has a WHITE/ pink at a plug on one end, but that wire runs about 50-70 volts depending on engine speed.  I tried this one anyway and it seemed to work but then in the morning when remote starting it would crank up and run for about 20 seconds then shut down and repeat over and over.  Any other time this was fine.  So I tried the other WHITE/ pink wire and the remote starter acted like it learned this new signal.  However in testing I could disconnect the tach wire and everything worked just fine without it.  I beleive I may have fried the tach portion of the remote starter.  But since this van has over crank protection I turned up the crank time and kept it set up with a glow plug delay and everything worked fine.  Once again come morning the van would crank up and run for about 20 seconds then shut down and repeat over and over.  I'm at a loss as to why its doing this since there is NO tach wire hooked up.  The remote starter is no longer monitering anything and should not be restarting. 

Has anyone had any simlar issue?  Can anyone provide a bit more info on where to find the correct tach wire?

Thanks,

Klutch
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
 TACH SIGNAL See notes     
 On the 4.2L use PINK/WHITE at the coil or the pin-78 at the PCM (2 cylinder signal). On the 4.6L use the PINK/WHITE at the left side coilpack or pin-78 at the PCM (2 cylinder signal). On the 5.4L use WHITE/ PINK at pin-78 of the PCM (1 cylinder signal). On the 6.8L use WHITE/ RED at pin-79 of the PCM (1 cylinder signal). The PCM is located on the left rear side of the engine compartment near the brake master cylinder.
 DIESEL TACH SIGNAL WHITE/ pink At pin-1 of top plug on PCM   AC 
 The PCM is found in the left rear side of the engine compartment near the brake master cylinder. Can also use Dk.blue/gray (crank sense wire) at pin-30 of the same plug.
mabuffalo 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Please let me know if you have transmission trouble. I'm trying to find out if anyone has had a similar problem to mine in a Ford. Thanks . . .

MABuffalo
cmk0808ny 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
ive done lots of these- get to an injector wire. use the odd color wire. take off the air intake and filter tube and you can get to it
klutch240 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

Their aren't any injector wires on the diesel, unless, I'm mistaken.  But thank you.

Mabuffalo- Do you have a chevy?  If you don't power up all the ignition wires it will blow the trany.  But I've never come across any trany problems on fords.

Klutch
mabuffalo 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  

Klutch,

I am aware of the problem in some GM products, but I have a 2000 Ford E150 5.4L gasoline engine. A misconnected wire on a Python 871XP alarm/remote-start seems to have caused a malfunction in the van's PCM that produced severe damage to my automatic transmission. I can't comment further on this, because Circuit City is denying any responsibility for their improper installation and I'm preparing a lawsuite. But be particularly careful of the WHITE/ pink wire that does NOT show increased voltage with increasing engine RPM. And if you "fried the tach portion of the remote starter," perhaps you should be thankful because that's a whole lot cheaper than a $3,000 transmission repair bill. LOL

FYI: You can easily find the forum discussing this topic by searching under the keywords "python destroyed" using the12Volt.com search function. There is also a summary of the event at www.AddictionScience.net/CircuitCity.htm complete with photographs of the transmission damage.

Good luck, Michael.

MABuffalo
klutch240 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

KarTuneMan-  Your info was right on. I got it all fixed up last weekend. 

Just FYI to anyone else researching from this post.  the PCM (at least on the diesel) is to the left of the master cylinder, just to the rigth of the dog house.  Its mounted to the firewall right as it begins to curve into the dog house.  I found it easiest to pull the air intake and un plug the top plug to verifiy that the WHITE/ pink was pin one.  While I didn't see the DkBlue/grey mentioned about the other was pin one and measured like a tach wire should.  If I were to try again, this plug only had one WHITE/ pink so I would tray to just grab the loom rather that take everything apart.

Thanks all for your help.

Klutch
AirWaveGT 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
i love you guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic