icon

anl/fire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hshark 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 3:58 AM / IP Logged  

ok i was reading a closed post that using a large anl fuse will cause a fire is this true? i am currently rinning 4 amps in my car an epicenter and a line driver and three subs i have 2 batteries one in front and one in the back i have an inline anl in the front batt with a 250 anl fuse and one 250 amp fuse in the back where my dis block is is this ok or not?

3 memphis pr124d, 6.5 memphis comp front and rear, 3 memphis 250d's,1 memphis 75x4,1 memphis line driver, i memphis eqp4,1 epicenter,  2 kinetik batteries

power wire is 4guage

thanks!

memphis car audio all around
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  
If your primary wire is 2 gauge or LARGER, then no, that ANL fuse is perfectly safe. If you are running 4 gauge or SMALLER, (which you have said is what you are using) you run a VERY REAL risk of causing a fire. 4 gauge should never be fused higher than 150A.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

Haemphyst, where did you get your current ratings from?  I've never seen a car audio specific chart.  According to: http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm he should have 1/0 or bigger cable for a 250A fuse.  I honestly don't know if that chart applies to the wire you are using, but that is the kind of chart you would need to know if it is safe or not.

Haemphyst is right though, the safety of the install all depends on properly sizing your fuse size to your wire.  If your fuse is bigger then then the wire can handle there is the possibility of a fire.

Kevin Pierson
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, you're right... #2 is only rated 225A. I use this page for wire calculations, I just didn't look at it this morning... I was going from memory.
While I was technically wrong in my numbers, an 11% overcurrent situation (250A fuse / 225A wire capacity) would still blow the fuse while keeping the wire reasonably safe, in the case of a #2, but in the case of a #4, a 67% overcurrent condition (250A fuse / 150A wire capacity) will certainly be WELL within the danger range for that particular wire. Also, a user could be very EASILY drawing well more than the wire is safely rated for, for extended periods of time, if fused for 250A, but the wire is only safe to 150A.
That page, BTW, is quite nice. I'll be saving it to my favorites.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Added to my favorites, too, thank you for the info.

Kevin Pierson

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic