icon

semi truck alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stratorider 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, we have to do a Viper 1000 in a semi-truck. It's probably a Kenworth or Volvo, I have no way of knowing, the salesman that made the appoinment is gone on vacation. Anyway, what I'm getting at is has anyone have much experience doing alarms in semis? I've done sat radio, decks, tvs , etc... but does anyone know of any special challenges or problems that they have run into doing security on one of these. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

Look to see where the main battery is at. A lot of them are external to the truck by the running boards and the wires off of the battery are fairly easy to cut. If the power can be cut to the alarm it will not work so maybe add a backup battery inside the truck cab.

The ignition switches I've seen on rigs have threaded studs on the back of them and by adding ring terminals to your wiring it will make the install easier. The same goes for connections to the parking light switch or running lights they may have on toggle switches.

I would also extend the LED wiring and place the LED facing downward in the overhead console.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

Go right to the ignition switch for all needed voltage. Make sure your ground goes to the frame. The cabs "float" on HUGE rubber bushings. If the guy wants an amp....get extra labor for the power connections (they suck) Door pin's can sometimes be a bit difficult. Find the actual pin and tag off and diode isollate. Power door locks......Hmmm. would require some looking into.....on your part!

A ton of what you need can also be found at the fuse box, and everything is very well labeled.

stratorider 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2007 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well, the alarm is in a works. The truck was a Freightliner Century Class(?) and every wire was yellow. I mean every wire. Good luck writing any tech tips, eh? Thanks for the input fellas.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic