the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

02 saturn s series 250 1316 w/250 3592

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

I am trying to get this cruise working. I have gone over the install twice and all looks in order, although it must not be becaue it does not work. Basic connections, vss yellow at transaxle, automatic so no tach connection, red to hot side of the brake, purple to trigger side or 12v when pressed. They installed a 250-3592 surface mount switch w/engage light. I have checked over dipswitch settings and this is what I have 1-on, 2-on, 3-off, 4-on, 5-on, 6-off, 7-on, 8-off, 9-on, 10-on, 11-on, 12-off.

Also found manual for switch online and it says to tie the pink engagement wire into pink wire at servo, there is no pink wire at  the servo, any ideas? heres a copy of it.

I am trying to get this working, bear with me we are  the second shop to get this nightmare.

ranger svo 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure thats the correct VSS wire? To test you will need either an analog Meter or a DVM that can respond very quickly like a Fluke or a Simpson.

Raise the front wheels of the ground. Set the meter to ohms, R x 10 or R x 100 will work. Spin the tire with the car in nuetral. An analog meters needle will fluctuate back and forth if you have the VSS wire. Most digital meters wont work.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning but imagination.
Augustus de Morgan
xtremej 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
I have neither of those, if it was the incorrect vss wouldn't it still engage just throttle up irraticaly? I guess I can try the other wire off of the speed sensor as it is purple.
ranger svo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

It will not engage at all unless you have the right VSS. And with out some type of volt meter, diagnosis will be difficult. Because this is how I would proceed. With a volt meter,

Confirm that the red wire (at the 4 pin handle plug) has 12 volts, then check the brown wire, It should have 12 volts when you turn on the controller. I never remember which is which, the green wire will have 12 volts when you hit either set or resume (one or the other) and the yellow will have 12 volts with either set or resume. One more check. The purple wire should have 12 volts when the brake pedal is pressed and should show a ground when the pedal is not pressed. For diagnostic purposes, does your cruise use a blue tach wire, if so ground it.

Now if everything above is right, test drive the car again. And if it still don't work,  the only thing left is VSS.  Try the other wire.

Augustus de Morgan
xtremej 
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  

Shop is getting hammered, weve been working till after 10 all week. We got it working, forgot to post results. Its pretty freaky, we went through all wiring again and again, nothing would work. we swpped out for a universal closed circuit arm still nothing, we then swappered out servo and it was working, after a few minor gain adjustments it was wroking fine. We tried to use the original surfacemount switch again and it wont work either, thats what is wierd that both servo and switch are bad02 saturn s series 250 1316 w/250 3592 - Last Post -- posted image.. I though I may have missed something in how I tied it in but its still soldered in the same way. Its coming back in for another surface mount switch so should I ground the tach wire, I haven't been hooking them up on auto's?

ranger svo 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2007 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  

I always ground the tach wire. I've been doing cruise controls for about 15-years. In the early years everytime I had a problem it had to do with the tach wire. I started grounding all of them around 10 years ago. I do between 5 or 6 cruise controls a week. I run into maybe 4 or 5 problems a year.

In the early days the rate was much higher.

Anyway glad you found the problem

Augustus de Morgan

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic