icon

2006 scion xb box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rcurry23 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2007 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  

As the title says, I have a 2006 Scion xB that I'm wanting to build a system for. I plan on running these 2 - 12" Elemental design subs: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35, with this Elemental designs amp: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44

Here is how I'd like to build the box to look like: 2006 scion xb box - Last Post -- posted image.

My question is, I don't want the wires visible, coming into or out of the amp. How do I hide them or make them less noticable? The Scion I plan on luminating it blue. Sorry for the poor drawing, but you guys get the Idea of what I'm wanting to do. I want the amp to kind of hover over the box. Haven't figured out how to do that either, but I got the MDF base, and am about to start on the structure skeleton this weekend.

e36rok 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2007 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
Read "How to Make a Fiberglass Enclosure" a few threads up. He covers the amp wires but still shows the amp.
rcurry23 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
I have already read that post. He covers the outside edge of the amp with the cover. I would like mine to hover over the box. If I can't eliminate seeing the wires, what would be the cleanest way to not see them as bad? Tubing through the box? I think I have the whole box building thing worked out in hy head but not the wiring. I don't want it to look like a spaghetti factory under there!!!
rcurry23 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
Forgot one more question. I bought 3/4" and 1/2" MDF. For the base which is 24 x 49, would it be best to use the 3/4" or 1/2" I was gonna use the 1/2" for the rings, but decided to go with the 3/4", now just didn't know if the bottom could be 1/2". If not I'll go ahead and use the 3/4" base I already have cut!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

rcurry23 wrote:
I have already read that post. He covers the outside edge of the amp with the cover. I would like mine to hover over the box. If I can't eliminate seeing the wires, what would be the cleanest way to not see them as bad? Tubing through the box? I think I have the whole box building thing worked out in hy head but not the wiring. I don't want it to look like a spaghetti factory under there!!!

I would go with tubing through the box as well. I am assumig that you are mounting the amp on a 3/4" pedastal as well? If so, to hide the wiring and cleaning it up, look into putting split loom and using loop hold downs to the underside of the amp mounting board to guide the wire and clean up the food. Most looms are black and that will help hide the wires pretty well. If your pedestal uses a hollow tube or a box like form for the mount, consider drilling a hole in the side of it and run the wires down through that to hide the wiring.

For me, I would have made a channel in the mounting board and ran the wires through that. I would use a box like structure or tubing structure of some sort that would support the amp base and where it meets at the channel drill through the base and drop the wiring down the hole and into the support. That would clean up the wiring and have almost none of it showing.

rcurry23 wrote:
Forgot one more question. I bought 3/4" and 1/2" MDF. For the base which is 24 x 49, would it be best to use the 3/4" or 1/2" I was gonna use the 1/2" for the rings, but decided to go with the 3/4", now just didn't know if the bottom could be 1/2". If not I'll go ahead and use the 3/4" base I already have cut!

I would stick to the 3/4" This will make it heavier, but it will also make it extra strong. This is the foundation for all of your display here. You can never be too strong. Save the 1/2 for another project. ^-^

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
rcurry23 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
bellsracer, thanks for the reply. So what your saying is build a box like platform with a channel down the center for the amp, and the channel is to run the wires in under the amp. Then in the center cut a hole so the wires will go through it and through the tubing, through the box. That sounds exactly like what I was wanting to know!!!
rcurry23 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2007 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
I think I'm gonna make a platform for the amp to mount to with a channel down the center then cut a hole in the center that is attached to a larger tube to make it look like its hovering. I think I'll run the wires down the channel and through the tube. But now I have another question. In the back compartment there are two humps on each side where the shocks are. They are covered with the interior plastic stuff. If I cover those with tape and lay fiberglass on them for the sides of the box, how do I attach it to the MDF base? And should it wrap around and attach to the bottom of the base or lay on top? And when I have the base with the sides mounted and the framework done. How do I attach the fleece to the glassed sides? Am I going about this the wrong way? I got my base, cicles and supports done. Now I just need to figure out what to do on the sides!
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  

Take a look at this tutorial I posted a while ago. Especially if you have little to no experience with FG.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=82564

Pay special attention to the sections on where the fleece and glass meet. You'll be doing some router work there, but it will make a VERY strong connection between the wood and glass.

After you finish glassing and getting everything done (except paint) I recommend spreading a skim coat of wood glue on the exposed wood inside of the assembly. As the glue dries it'll shrink slightly and seal the wood better.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
rcurry23 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2007 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  

I finally got a chance to start back on my box project, had some things come up. But I now have the base done, sides glassed to base and am about to start the structure. Thanks for all the help. I'll post pictures when I actually get something started, that is worth a picture

bagged_xb 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2007 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
curious to see something here, so i guess i will have to wait

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic