icon

pa speakers in my car

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
percenter 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Whats up guys.  I've  seen this alot on my trips to the Dominican Republic. More specifically EV pa speakers. Ive seen them in cars, suv's and trucks.  The guys down there shoot for very loud systems as loud as they can get them. I want to try something like that.  I've  got 2 pa speakers lying around and im going to put them in my car . if it works out i'll leave them in if not i'll take them out.   These are the specs:

(2) 15" 100-3000hz  325rms 8 ohm.*( i will have to balance these out with 4 tweeters)

(1)Rockford p600 bridged at 600x1 at 4 ohm (birth certificate says more)

I will parallel. i got to see how im going to install these monsters lol (in a honda) . Is there anything else i should be concerned about?

"It's not what you do, it's how you do it".
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2007 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

do you plan to post pics? I'm curious to see how it comes out

...don't crush the weasel...
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

Technically, they'll work fine.  Practically, you might be disappointed.  First, PA speakers generally aren't tuned for low bass.  So, while you might have some serious efficiency at 70-200hz going with PA speakers, they might not provide the "car audio bass" you're looking for.  Second, PA speakers are generally not designed for small box designs in mind.  So, you might end up taking up much more of your car's interior than you would with a proper car audio subwoofer.  Just be sure to model a box with whatever speaker modeling program everyone's using these days.

Let us know how it works.  Cheers,

Karl

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ditto to what Karl said.  For example, the EV DL15X woofer likes a 5 cuft vented enclosure tuned to 38Hz.  In addition, most professional drivers are designed for use in "long throw" systems, meaning they develop max SPL outside the near field.  Since inside a car is always IN the near field of a speaker, you could be much louder 10 feet away from your car than you might be inside.  Of course if this is what you want, pro loudspeakers tend to be pretty efficient...
Support the12volt.com
percenter 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

The speakers are actually 30-4000hz

I'm shooting for 6 cu ft for both speaker's and and a large slot

My expectations are low. I looking to  mount these behind the rear seats. to be used only when the seats are down, or in the trunk facing out  only to be used when the trunk is open. i havent started yet but i am looking to take some pics. keep ya posted.

percenter 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
okay after taking measurements. ive decided to only use 1 of these big speakers in a enclosures i'll will use it with 2 tweeters. I now have the material but have yet to start to build the box
percenter 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2007 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

well after having everything in my possesion i changed my mind again and decided to squeeze both 15's behind the rear seats. ive built a sealed wedge enclosure. They barely fit. I have put it in the car and it is loud as hell. Definately not the ground shaking bass (40hz)but that wasn't what i was looking for(i'll prob. hp at 80-120hz. final installation and adj. of crossover is not done yet. i will post pics as soon as i can get a hold of a camara

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2007 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
Ahhhh... its 1985 all over again.........
Before the advent of large diameter, car specific subs, it was very common to see 15" EV or JBL drivers used in a lot of vehicles. Nowdays, with the cost of both power (cheap), and really solid woofers meant for in car use ( as in they take at the very most 2 cu ft, and just wail), aside from being a nice exercise in carpentry and bonus showoff points, really, kinda pointless.
In the Dominican...... well, they are just using what is cheap and easily available....... good on 'em for making the best out of what they have at their disposal down there.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic