icon

'06 silverado w/audiovox aps 685 problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
apexer 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado with an  Audiovox APS685 remote start/keyless entry as some may recall.

I have been experiencing an intermittent problem in that when I attempt to start the truck with the remote transmitters, the truck will crank continually and not start. As it's cranking, I press the button twice to turn it off as it seems it would crank indefinately. Get in the truck and it will just crank with the key in the ignition as well. If I let it sit for 15 minutes or longer it will start right up.

I'm thinking it may be Passlock-related. 

Had the shop that did the install (different person than the original installer) check it out and they say all is fine and if it was an issue with the Audiovox or required modules that it will work or not, should be intermittent. By intermittent I mean it will do it a couple times one week, then it may not happen for 2 months.  (Never had an extended cranking issue with using the key in the ignition switch to start the vehicle.)

Another thing that may or not be related is the security icon on the dash (symbol of the car with a lock through it) sometimes comes on and stays on until you turn off the truck-this again only happens when I remote start the truck, get in, turn the key to the run position & touch the brake pedal-may not come on immediately and not always.

The Chevy dealer techs say it's due to the remote starter & suggest disconnecting it to see if the problem continues or not, and I tend to agree at this point as I cannot duplicate it by key starting the truck-and it's so intermittent of when it happens.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  
its most likely the passlock bypass have the shop repace it and check the wiring for it
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
It is defnately a Passlock problem. Do you know what Passlock bypass module they used?
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

I believe it is the DEI 555L module used for the Passlock.   Are these okay or is there a better one to use in this case?

Thanks for the quick replies!!

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2007 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
The 555L is good and reliable. I happen to use the Audiovox AS-GM4, which works in the same way. (They even have the same wiring schematic; you can unplug one and plug in the other one.)
The location for the 555L's ground wire is considered to be very important. The instruction manual specifically states to use the truck's Passlock ground wire.......that is, the ground wire that runs up the steering column, to the Passlock system at the ignition lock.
If the installer instead used the truck's chassis ground (body metal), or even just selected the wrong wire in the steering column harness, this could cause problems.
It would be a good idea for the installer to double-check where he got his ground. He might want to pop off the plastic cover around the steering column, follow the Passlock ground wire, and make sure that's the wire he connected to.
Also, if you were my customer, after havng had this problem so many times, I would pull out EVERYTHING that's Passlock-related and replace it.
I wouldn't trust my connections that I made, or the wiring that comes with the 555L, or the 555L itself. I'd cut out everything, and re-install a fresh module, fresh wiring, and fresh connections.
apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2007 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, I'll be contacting the installer on Monday to see how we will progress from here. 

I appreciate the information provided by all of you on the site!!!

apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Is the model 555L bypass module still available?  If not, what would be a suitable replacement and will it affect any operation of the system I have in the vehicle?

Installer said the ground wire is correctly connected to the Passlock ground wire.

To date I haven't exerienced the "crank, but no start " issue, but the security/pass lock light comes on sometimes yet. 

apexer 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2007 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

I want to check to see if the ground wire of the 555l is connected to the Passlock ground wire, What color wire should I be looking for?

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
The Passlock ground wire is black, I'm pretty sure.
So, you'd first remove the underdash panel. (Two 7mm screws, and just pull the top edges which are clipped on.)
Behind that you'll see the curved metal knee bolster, which is removed by unfastening the four 10mm nuts. (You'll want to have a deep socket on hand.)
In the harness going up the steering column, you should find the following connections made by the installer:
Two constant wires, red, and RED / white (the installer may have used just one of these)
Starter: yellow
Ignition: pink (555L ignition wire would be connected here too)
Ignition 2: white
Accessory: orange
Accessory 2: brown (most installers don't connect Accessory 2 on these trucks, but it's possible)
Passlock resistance wire: small yellow (the yellow would have been cut in half........ "key side" connected to the yellow of the 555L......... "body side" to the BLACK / YELLOW of the 555L)
Passlock ground: black, connected to the black of the 555L
------------------
The black plastic shroud around the steering column is simply snapped into place, although most people say it is a little tricky to snap back on after you've removed it.
Anyway, if you can remove it, and look at the small wires around the ignition keyhole, you should see the following:
passlock resistance: yellow
passlock ground: black (or maybe tan?)
passlock ignition: RED / white
keysense: light green (makes a ground with key in the ignition)
keysense ground: tan (provides a ground for the keysense switch)
NOW, follow the wires where the installer connected..........make sure that he's connected to the Passlock ground, and NOT the keysense ground.
If you look, you'll see that the three Passlock wires are in one plug, and the two keysense wires are in another plug.......... but then they run down the column in the same taped-up bundle.
It's an easy mistake to use the keysense ground instead of the true Passlock ground. That would be a good thing for you to check.
Sorry for being so long-winded, and I hope that all makes sense.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic