icon

tail, interior, sidemarkers went out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12voltuser 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
So i got into my truck the other night and i turned my lights on and my dash lights blinked 4 times, each time making a clicking noise and they went out after the 4th blink.
I got out and noticed my tail lights, and side markers were also out. So I checked all my fuses and they were all perfectly fine, even the ones under the hood. My tail lights still work and so do my blinkers (well at least the rear ones, not sure about the front).
I have had the Python 881xp for a few years now and my friend who installed it programmed it to make my side markers and tail lights blink when i lock or unlock the doors, and they still do blink when i do so.
Any suggestions on what could have happened?
Thank you.
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2007 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

From your explanation you are stating that the side markers do work when you use the remote but dont work with the regular switch?

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2007 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
Check underdash  (factory) connectors? "A few years" is far too long to blame your friend's installation, also the clicking suggests a relay or processor.
the12voltuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2007 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
yea the side markers and tail lights work when i use the remote to un lock and lock the doors, but they do not work when i go to turn on the switch for the head lights/tail lights. Im not blaming my friends installation at all he is a good installer. Maybe the relay under the hood went out? Which wires should i check under the dash?
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
if the lights work when you use the remote, that means the module for your light switch works. (dont need to check any fuses)
(you didn't state the make/model/year of your truck)
anyways, seems like your switch is bad because if you manual apply 12v to the parking light wire (which your alarm is doing), it turns on.
Take off the switch to see if anything is broken/loose.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
the12voltuser 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2007 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
The truck is a 1999 Ford Ranger...
I checked the switch and there isnt any wired loose from the back of the harness.
Could it possibly be the relay in the fuse box under the hood?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2007 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
Try a new swtich, they do wear out sometimes.
swerve 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
those rangers are known for bad headlight switches, a new one is about 23 bucks at your local parts store and should fix that problem that your having.
git yer swerve on!
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
swerve wrote:
those rangers are known for bad headlight switches, a new one is about 23 bucks at your local parts store and should fix that problem that your having.
Awesome note, imma document this just in case someone tries to come back to blame the alarm.
(might would have found this out on google or on a ford forum, or when someone actually does come back to complain, So Thanks. Saves me the trip)
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic